Right Here, Right Now

“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.”  Helen Keller

Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, He gave thanks and broke them.  The He gave them to the disciples to distribute to the people.  They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelves basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over.  Luke 9:16-17

Comeuppance:  “a deserved rebuke or penalty”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

In many ways, we live in a jealous world.  Most of us want a little more than what we have.  There’s nothing inherently wrong with having things.  Where we go wrong is when we covet things. We go wrong when things come in the way of what is truly important.  Our relationships.  Relationships with family, friends, and most importantly God.  God has never left His people unblessed when they lived for Him.  However, it is continually a struggle for us to trust that a life lived for Him could be blessed.  When we think about living for God, often the first thing we think is that we’re gonna have to sell the house, or the car.  We’re gonna have to move to a third world country and live in poverty.  And how often do we say no to God because of what we have?  Even when there is no evidence that God wants to take away the things we have.  Maybe there will come a time when the house and the car will go.  Still, there is a place for the things in our lives.  Whatever we have, today, let’s start using it for the Lord.  But I’m digressing from the point I really want to make.  God doesn’t promise us the whole world.  However, that doesn’t stop us from wanting the whole world.  We visit a park and want to have it in our back yard.  We drive through the country and desire a cabin in the woods.  We go to the beach and wish we could buy a little strip of land on it.  We go out to lunch in the city and suddenly can’t stop thinking of how cool it would be to have a condo downtown.  Instead of enjoying the places we visit, we want to make them our own.  If you don’t struggle with that, praise the Lord.  I however struggle with it continually.  God has richly blessed His people throughout history.  However, He has never given anyone everything their heart could ever desire.  Why?  Because our heart has an unquenchable appetite.  Just look at Adam and Eve.  They had everything except one tree.  And what did they want?  That tree.  But thank God, He has the ability to change our hearts.  He has the ability to give us satisfaction.  It’s in Him that we are blessed and feel blessed beyond anything we could desire.  And it’s through Him that the promise of more than we could ever fathom comes.  The promise of an eternal salvation with Him.  Let’s enjoy the things we’re blessed with now.  Let’s ask God to bless us and to fill our hearts with satisfaction.  And let’s remember that He is the source of everything.  He wants us to be happy.  He’s a good God.  There’s no reason to fear living for Him.  Right here, right now.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake