Chapter 2: It's Not 1945

Start from the beginning

I shook my head. "You'll get it eventually," I said trying to encourage her.

"Khalan Michaels, please report to the
Mr, Walden's office. I repeat, Khalan Michaels, please report to Mr. Walden's office," the PA system came.

Mr. Walden was the guidance counsellor.

"Um, what did you do?" Shayley asked arching an eyebrow.

"Nothing," I replied before leaving.

I made my way to his office. I was surprised to see Shawn sitting there, arms folded, staring Mr. Walden down. I tried not to stare at him too much.

He was hot, sue me.

"Khalan please, have a seat," Mr. Walden gestured to the chair beside Shawn.

I nervously obeyed, wondering what on earth he would want from Shawn and I.

"Um...what's going on?" I asked.

"Mr. Mitchell here has missed so many classes that his grades are more than slipping," he began.

"And?"

"And I've reached the conclusion that he needs help getting them back up...or at least to average."

"I told you, I don't need anyone, especially a tutor," Shawn interrupted.

"Mr. Walden are you implying that I...tutor him?" I asked ignoring his comment.

"Yes Khalan, I am," he answered.

Kill me. Kill me now.

"Why me?"

"Because, you're a straight A student," he simply replied.

Try again mister.

"So? Lots of other kids are straight A students," I said making it clear that I did not want to tutor Shawn.

We'd never really interacted, and frankly I wasn't looking forward to awkward conversations and what not.

I gave him a pleading look but he just shook his head.

"But I know you can handle it Khalan," Mr. Walden said.

Did I tell you that?

"Besides, I'm not giving you much of a choice. I'm sort of assigning it to you."

I sighed and leaned back. You could see from my face and that of Shawn's that we both didn't want this...at all. Why would I want to spend my afternoons tutoring Mr. Obnoxious over here?

"Great then," Mr. Walden said when he saw that none of us were arguing back anymore. "Shawn you'll see Khalan in the library after school Mondays and Thursdays. And don't try getting out of it, I've already spoken to your father," Mr. Walden said, turning to Shawn who just groaned.

"And Khalan, this may not be all bad. I mean tutoring looks good on a college application," he added as he dismissed us. I hated to admit it but he was right.

I walked back to my locker and found my three best friends waiting for me.

"Well?" Jessica asked.

I sighed. "Looks like I'm tutoring Mr. Bad Boy," I replied unesthusiasically.

Their eyes widened. "Shawn? As in Shawn Mitchell?!" Shayley exclaimed all excited.

I really didn't get what all the girls saw in him.

"Yup," I replied.

"Damn you're lucky!" Jessica exclaimed.

"Yeah not really," I muttered putting a few books in my bag. All of them but Austin rolled their eyes.

"Come on Khay it may not be as bad as you think," he finally spoke.

Always the optimist.

"Maybe not," I said quietly.

"He may surprise you, just give him a chance," he added and walked away.

I was about to speak to Shayley when someone walked by. Kyle Richards aka star quarterback aka my crush since sophmore year. I watched as he ran his fingers through his glorious light chocolate hair.

"Hey Khalan," he said as he passed by and flashed a smiile showing those pearly whites. He was so cute, and one of the other guys almost every other girl wanted. I leaned back on my locker daydreaming about my future days as Mrs. Khalan Richards.

"Um, hello? Earth to Khalan?" Jessica said snapping her fingers in front of my face bringing me back to reality.

"Huh?" I asked confused.

"You were totally daydreaming about Kyle again weren't you?" Shayley asked.

"No I wasn't," I said and started walking away to hide my blush.

They caught up with me. "You've got to tell him Khalan," Shayley said.

"What? No," I said

"She's right, just ask him out," Jessica added.

"I'm pretty sure it's the guy who asks the girl out," I pointed out.

"And I'm pretty sure we're living in the 21st century," she said back. "It's not 1945."

I rolled my eyes. "No, I'm not telling him and that's final."

"Oh please, he obviously likes you back. Plus, you're bestfriends with one of his teammates who I'm very sure would be willing to get his attention for you," Shayley said wriggling her eyebrows.

Austin was on the football team like Kyle. And like the other two he knew how I felt.

"I'm not telling him," I protested.

"Why?" Jess asked.

"You may very well be delaying the birth of your children," Shayley remarked.

Children?

"You're delusional," I said, shaking my head.

The bell rang and I got to Biology, away from my annoying best friends.