Chapter 61

{CJ's POV}
The bell to end first period rings and I hurry and go down to my dad's office. The roses I ordered should be here any minute and I'm getting them delivered to his office. Today is me and jasmine's one year anniversary and she didn't ride with us to school because she had a doctor's appointment, so I just took it as an opportunity to order something and have it delivered.

I get to his office and surprisingly, he's not there. Which is weird. He's always here around this time. I brush it off and figure he's out and about getting stuff done. I see the delivery guy and flag him down.

"Mr. Kaepernick?"

"Uhh, Colin. Mr. Kaepernick's my father."

"Gotcha. Sign right here for me please."

"Thanks." I say exchanging his clipboard for the roses and teddy bear.

I go back upstairs to find Jasmine..and she's at her locker.

"Have I ever told you how beautiful you are." I say leaning against the locker next to hers. She looks at me and smiles.

"Only a thousand times."

"Okay, let's make it a thousand and one times...you're beautiful....happy anniversary." I pull the roses from behind my back.

"Thank you. And happy anniversary to you too." She reaches into her locker and grabs my present. The new grand theft auto game and the Madden game. I hadn't gotten a chance to get them yet.

"Thank you! You really are the best, you know that."

"I know....but you're better than the best." I pull her in for a kiss.

"You ready, I'll walk you to class."

"You don't have to. I don't want you to be late."

"I don't care about being late."

"You don't care until you're running for it in practice later."

"And even then I don't care. So I'm walking you."

"Fine by me." I take her hand and walk her to class.

The rest of the day goes by quickly. My dad hadn't been here all day, and I thought practice would be cancelled, but he'll usually text us, and he didn't like canceling practice. Once the get suited up in my pads, I grab my helmet and head to the practice field.

"For a second there, I thought you fell off the face of the earth." I say walking up to my dad.

"Yet, here I am. In the flesh."

He looks like he had a long night. "You look terrible...you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm good. Go ahead and start warming up."

"Okay, oh, by the way, I was late to second period today.."

"I know, and I'm letting all you little tardy birds slide today." I put my hand on his forehead. "What are you doing?"

"Trynna see if you really okay."

"Just go warm up before I change my mind."

I say nothing further and appreciate him being so lenient today. He even ends practice early today, which I'm kinda happy about because I'm taking jasmine out tonight. We're going to the new movie theater that just opened. Really nice. Has a pizza place, sushi stand, a bar and all kinds of stuff.

After practice, we go home. We pull up and I get out the car. My dad never gets out.

"Are you gonna come in?" I ask before closing the door.