Chapter 38

They take a seat in the stools on the other side of the island. I decided to keep what happened in the past, between me, Colin and whoever else knew back then. I never told my kids about it...didn't think I would ever have to. Didn't expect Colin to say what he said, and surely didn't think they'd be eavesdropping.

"I don't even know where to start..."

"It doesn't matter...we just wanna know everything about the woman who raised us..." Cayleigh says.

"Well...this goes back all the way to when I was a little girl. Growing up, I had self image issues. For years....I mean, up until I went to rehab, I struggled with self image issues. Thinking I was never skinny enough."

"Rehab?" Cayleigh asks. I nod.

"When I was 18, I checked in to rehab. It was either that, or quit my career."

"Why'd you go?"

"Self harming...eating disorder...but when I got there...I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I knew I was messed up...but when they told me that...I was like oh...that's the reason. I would be so happy at times, but then so depressed, and I never knew why..."

"Why'd you never tell us?"

"I don't know...didn't think I had to. I'm fine....I haven't had any episodes in years...and when I say years, i mean YEARS...and honestly...I didn't know how you'd guys react to it."

"Did you meet daddy before or after."

"After...and I warned him that I would be a challenge, and he accepted it."

"That sounds like dad." CeCe says and we all giggle.

"Well he's wrong about what he said...in more ways than one. He shouldn't have said that to you." CJ says.

"Hey, you guys don't worry about that. We all say a lot of things we don't mean...but now you guys know."

"That's so crazy...but then again, that explains why you are the way you are now..."

"And how am I now."

"A badass that doesn't take shit from anyone...even dad. That's how you've always been." CeCe says.

"That's right....anything else you'd like to know?"

"I think the real question is, is there anything we SHOULD know."

"No...there isn't."

"Cool. So what's for breakfast.." CJ asks.

"Cereal."

"For real?" I giggle.

"No...give me 20 minutes."

"Okay."

********************

{Colin's POV}

I definitely have some apologizing to do. I didn't mean to say what I said last night. I get up before everyone...grab some Nike running pants, put on my Nikes, grab my phone and headphones and to on a run. I come back to the house, walk in and smell food being cooked. I think about going to get a towel to dry off cause I'm drenched in swear...but maybe that'll help me out a little bit...she likes it when I'm shirtless and sweaty...well, I think she does. I walk in the kitchen, and she's standing at the stove flipping pancakes. I place my phone and headphones on the island and she turns around, then she turns back towards the stove. I walk over and lean against the counter that's next to the stove. I stand there and watch her...trying her hardest not to look at me.

"Demi...."

"What Colin." She says, glaring at me.

"I'm sorry." I try and put my arm around her waist but she steps back.

"Don't touch me. You were out of line last night."

"I know that...and."

"Just save it. I really have nothing to say to you."

"Baby..." I step closer to her, touching my body with hers. She puts her hand on my chest and pushes me back.

"Go tell the kids breakfast is almost ready." I leave and go get the kids. They come downstairs as I'm placing the food the food on the table. They all grab a plate out of the stack that's on the table, and they grab a fork. We eat breakfast and the kids actually volunteer to clean the kitchen.

"Before y'all start cleaning...CeCe, Cayleigh, you're off the hook...and you...you'll be staying a little late after practice on Monday." I say and catch Demi rolling her eyes. She doesn't say anything. I say what I have to and head upstairs to change. I shower and start getting dressed and Demi walks in.

"Where are you going?" She asks.

"I got some business to take care of."

"What kind of business?"

"Business." I finish and leave.

********************

I leave the house and my first stop is the hotel. Even though Demi's mad at me, I'm still gonna make date night happen...and she has no choice but to go along with it. I book a room for tonight, because I refuse to come home to a house full of 5 kids. I deal with them 6 days out of the week...one night isn't gonna hurt. Then I do some shopping...picking out a nice, sexy dress that I know Demi is gonna love and a pair of high heels to match. She already owns a ton of heels, but what's one more pair right. I get me something to wear then head back home. I get there and Dylan and CJ are on the couch, snuggled up to each other watching cartoons.

"Where's your mom?"

"Upstairs." Dylan says. I walk upstairs and Demi's sitting on the edge of the bed on the laptop. She looks up at me when she hears me enter the room. I sit the bag with her dress in there next to her.

"What's that?"

"Just open it."

"Is this the business you had to handle?"

"Maybe."

"Colin, this is beautiful...but I have plenty of dresses.."

"Yeah...but you need a new dress for that new steakhouse that we have reservations at tonight and you're gonna go...wether you like it or not."

"What about new shoes? I need new shoes." I slowly raise the shoe bag from behind my back. A smile sneaks upon her face. She takes it, and takes the shoes out.

"You've outdone yourself Colin Kaepernick. As much as I want to refuse..how could I..." I shrug my shoulders. "What time should I be ready?"

"I wanna leave by 7...so be ready by 7. Not 7:01, not 7:02...7."

"Oh hush...I'll be ready."

"Where are the girls?"

"Went to go play basketball...when they come back we're gonna go get our nails done and stuff. You know...have a girls day..so it'll just be you and CJ."

"Okay."