Chapter 42

{Colin's POV}

"I think that's your cue to go to sleep don't you?" I look over after yawning to see Demi staring at me. It's Friday night and I'm just going over a few things before tomorrow night.

"How long have you been standing there?" I ask.

"Long enough to see you yawn 3 times in the last minute. Come on." I stand up and close my play book and we go to the bedroom. I strip down to my boxers and join Demi in bed.

"After tomorrow, I promise no more late nights. No more missing dinner..." She turns and faces me.

"I would love that." I give her a kiss on the cheek.

*******************

[Saturday Night]

"48 minutes. 48 minutes separate you and achieving our goal. This is a very good team. Won state 2 of the last 3 years.  You're just as good as they are, and as long as YOU believe it. That's all that matters. So lets go out there, play some good football and have fun doing it."

We clap it up, and break out. After running out to the field, I grab my head set, and send my captains out for the coin toss. Just about the whole school drove 3 hours to see the game. It's packed. It took me a while to spot Demi and Dylan. The older girls were lost somewhere in the student section. We win the coin toss and decide to kick off. Defense gets a stop and I send my offense on. CJ's been real quiet. I don't know if he's nervous or what. I stop him before he runs on the field.

"You okay?"

"What if I get out here and play terribly."

"You're not. He's the top cornerback in the state, but you're the top receiver...you're quicker than he is. Go out there and show it." He runs out to the field and does what he does best. After showing nervousness in the first couple plays he gets with the program, scoring the first touchdown of the game. After scoring he runs over to the sideline.

"What I tell you. Good job!" The game goes on and it's close the entire way. There's 5 seconds left in the entire game, we're down by 3 and we're not close enough to kick a field goal, so I take the last timeout to draw up a crazy play that they've never done before. I'm taking a risk, but I hope it pays off. CJ gives me a look of uncertainty.

"You can do it." He nods and they run out to the field. I take a deep breath as they line up. The quarterback takes the snap, throws to CJ parallel to his left and CJ throws it down the field to the guy streaking down the side and he runs it in for a touchdown. This entire stadium is electric. I get the rest of the gatorade that was in the huge thing dumped on me. this shit is cold as hell.

The boys run out to the field to celebrate. I stand there and try to process all of this. I go shake the other coaches hand and join the boys. Next thing I know, the rest of the students are on the field and I go back to the sideline and let them have the fun. Demi and Dylan meet me on the sideline.

"Good job daddy!" Dylan says, I bend down and give her a kiss.

"Congratulations! How was that Gatorade bath?" Demi asks.

"Cold." After getting the field cleared and the boys to the locker room. I give them a speech afterwards then they shower, I take one myself because I sticky as hell. We take the bus back to the school. During the ride, CJ comes and sits next to me.

"What's up?"

"Nothing...just wanted to say thank you."

"For what."

"I don't know...believing in me."

"I'm your father. I'm suppose to believe in you. But I also believe in you because I know what you're capable of. You gotta learn to stop doubting yourself. Be confident in your abilities." He nods.