chapter twenty-one

Start from the beginning

“Hey, sweetie.” An old woman made Guy shut up, finally, and he smiled up to her, giving her a polite nod. He released my wrist as he looked at her.

“Good evening, Kate.” He said and the old woman smiled, showing her wrinkles as she squeezed her eyes. Her round freckled face was surrounded by curly gray hair, that stopped just above her shoulders.

“The usual?” She said and Guy nodded at her.

“For her too.” He said when the woman, whom I now know as Kate, turned to ask me. She laughed at me, on the same squeezing way as she had just done towards Guy. I gave her a polite smile and she walked away.

“You come here often?” I said putting my elbows on the table.

“Are you trying to hit on me?” He was smiling at me, his rare cute smile. Ever since the day I met him, I had seen him smirking, being serious and angry. Still never had I seen him smile this sincerely happy.

“Yeah I’m sorry, I’m kind of new in this business. Care to help?” I smirked at him and got an instant smirk back.

“Well first of all, never use pick up lines.” I rolled my eyes at him.

“Are you sure? Because I know some really good ones.” He shifted around in his chair and found a comfortable position.

“Okay, hit me.” I licked my lips, preparing myself for some great pick-up lines.

“Okay.” I bit my lips, thinking. “Are you a fart, because you blew me away.” I laughed and saw a smile appear on his face. He let out a small laughter while shaking his head.

“That’s probably one of the oldest and stupidest pick-up lines.” He said still shaking his head.

“Do you work in subway? Because you just gave me a footlong.” He looked up, frowned and started laughing out loud. I couldn’t help but laugh with him. “Your breasts remind me of mount Rushmore. My face should be between them.” I said between laughs and it only made his laughter worse. “I think your clothes are made of Kryptonite, we’ve got to get rid of them immediately.” I cocked my head to the side and looked around in the bistro, besides our laughter it was getting more quiet. I turned back to face the still laughing Guy. “My love for you is like diarrhea, I just can't hold it in.” Then he stopped laughing and looked at me, his cheeks flushed red because of all the laughing.

“That’s disturbing.” He said before he burst out in laughter again. I think after that we had been laughing for a good five minutes before Kate arrived with our food. I had no idea what she was setting down in front of us but it looked delicious. Guy took a sip from his water and smiled at me, I smiled back at him before I grabbed my fork to examine the food.

“So you only know male pick-up lines?” I shrugged.

“I have been hit on a lot before.” I lied, still examining my food.

“I can imagine.” He said and I snapped my head back up. He was taking a bite of the meat and looked at me as he placed the fork at his lips.

“Try it, it’s delicious.” And then he opened his lips and let the piece of meat slip in. I looked down again, cut of a piece of meat and placed the fork at my lips. Guy was looking at me full of anticipation. I stuck out my tongue a little bit and licked the piece of meat before I totally put the piece of meat in my mouth. It was heaven on my tongue, tingles in every place.

“Oh my god, this is so good.” I said still with my mouth full, I felt a piece fall out. I looked at it, felt my face flush red and looked at a laughing Guy in front of me.

“What is it?” I said after swallowing a big lump away, I pointed towards the meat as I looked up and down from Guy to the meat.

“It’s chef’s specialty, nobody really knows what it is.” I looked at him as I stuffed another piece into my mouth, looking at him wide-eyed.