Chapter twenty

'Every person has had that one thing in the past, that did them wrong and made them strong'

_____________________________

“And after Dave stole my cookie, Ms. Mulmberry didn’t want to believe me.” Minny was sitting at the head of the table, drawing something while Marc and I were demanded to listen to her story. I asked if I could go upstairs multiple times, but Marc had asked me to stay as he wanted to talk to me. Minny on the other hand didn’t want either of us to open our mouths to start a conversation, as her day was way more interesting than our grownup talk.

“See even Min doesn’t like going to school, you guys are really bad parents making your children so miserable.” I whispered to Marc as Minny continued her story, not once did she look up to us.

“Just because one day someone stole her cookie, doesn’t mean she doesn’t like going to school.” Marc stated looking at his daughter.

“I mean look at her, she’s hiding her tears that’s why she’s looking down all the time. And she’s probably drawing a house with rain and depressing things.” I whispered back, also looking at my little sister.

“Honey show me and your big sister what you’re drawing.” Minny finally looked up, smiling brightly. She pulled the sheet of paper in the air and showed it to us.

“This is daddy, daddy, James, Ms. Mulmberry, me  and the sun shining and we’re all playing in the garden and Dave has my cookie in his hands.” She got a little red when she talked about Dave and went back to drawing the moment Marc decided to open his mouth.

“I think you should become a psychologist.” He pushed his chair back and got up, walking towards the kitchen. I rolled my eyes at him and did the same.

“I had been thinking about that a lot lately, I think it suits me very well.” He laughed and put the cup he was holding down on the counter, turning around to look at me.

“How’s that school counselor?” I felt a big lump in my throat as I thought about Damon.

“What about him?” I asked in a high pitched voice, while shifting from one feet to another. I could feel my face turn a little red, as the pictures of me and him kissing arose. It was wrong, so goddamn wrong it was amazing.

“Him?” He smirked and leaned on the palms of his hands, taking a relaxed position. The more relaxed he looked the more uncomfortable I got.

“Yeah.” I said slowly and soft.

“What’s that?” He leaned in a bit, a smirk from ear to ear covered his face.

“Oh that’s probably my phone, don’t worry I’ll get it.” I said, while the whole house was silent besides Minny’s pencils scraping over the paper.

“What are you talking about?” Marc said as I left the room, fast. I rushed up the stairs and closed the door with a loud smack before I jumped on top of my bed. I was ready to touch the soft surface of my bed and drown into the matrass right away, but there was something on my bed. And the moment I saw the big lump on my bed it was too late, the hard surface sent a painful sting through my entire body.

“Ouch, oh my god.” I was lying on top of someone, someone who was struggling to push me off and catch some breath. But this had hit me as a surprise, so I stopped moving as a defense mechanism.

“Jamey, get off me.” I recognized Guy’s voice right away and instead of crying I started laughing, so hard I was about to pee my pants. That was until he pushed me off the bed, making my body crash into another hard surface. It made me shut up and I turned around to face the ceiling.