Arcane Au: Ominous

[ Level 387]

Survival Difficulty:

Class 0

«»

·Safe

·Secure

·Devoid of Entities

Description:

Level 387 is a seemingly small and murky level with a concrete apartment building, a short road, and a gloomy forest. The level has a traversable area of only 30000m2, and any attempt to travel past this has led to unfortunate consequences. The level is stuck in eternal morning, and thus follows no day-night cycle. The climate of the level is relatively brisk, remaining at a constant temperature of 6°C.

The border to this area is made up of heavy walls of fog that surround the perimeter. Wanderers who enter the fog seemingly vanish, never to return. The reason for the disappearance of those who come into contact with the fog is unknown but it has been rumored by wanderers to bring one to another level. The Elite Council of The Fog Scouts do not address rumors like this, leading to the rumor losing its popularity shortly after. All disappearances on Level 387 are for some reason never witnessed, though The Fog Scouts can assure any doubters that there is no foul play involved and it is only the fog.

Entities:

Level 387 is completely devoid of entities and wildlife, despite the nutrient-rich forest. Traces of decomposed worms have been found in the soil, dating back hundreds of years. This hints at the possibility of old life on this level.

...

Just as every time so far, William had eventually caught up to Vincent. Apparently, he had noclipped through the floor, and William was fortunate enough to noclip at the same corridor. It was a relief, honestly. This was the last place he wanted to be alone in.

They had traversed many levels, now at level 387. The booklet deemed it as very safe, devoid of entities. However, the level's atmosphere made it hard to see anything far away due to it being shrouded in foggy and brisk weather. It bordered the tiny level, the only thing you could see amongst it was the tall luminous office building and a forest that disappeared into the borders of fog.

To be safe, they didn't go to the borders but remained close to the office building. Now arguing if they should head inside it or not.

"Vince, the booklet says this place has no entities. It's safe." William sighed, staring at his friend pace back and forth nonchalantly.

"I know but-, there's that feeling again.. It's just ominous here.." Vincent muttered, biting his nails with tense shoulders.

"No entities. No danger." William retorted as he rolled his eyes and pushed past the blonde-haired teen, entering the building through the fire exit. He could hear Vincent's footsteps behind him, following him in reluctantly.

The interior was run down remarkably, rotten walls with grimy floors. Any furniture that was in it was destroyed or torn up, cotton balls surrounding some of the leather couches and dirty beds. Even the air was filthy with dust balls, it looked like this place hadn't been cleaned in decades.

"Are there any exits inside here?" Vincent questioned as they walked past the objects and into the upwards stairwell.

"Not in here, the only exit is outside, and it takes you to level 80." William answered him, "Level 80 is not a place we want to be right now."

Vincent gave him an annoyed nod, "Yeah I guess.."

"We can sleep here for now and leave in the morning. At least this place might have bedrooms." He added on as they approached a much more cleaner upper area, checking all the doors. Most of them were locked, but William managed to lockpick a few that he swore probably had beds in it. The first they approached was black, explaining why it looked so clean since the stains and grim blended in with its walls.

"See? As long as you don't mind the smell.. and bugs. This will be a nice place to take some rest in. Trust me, we need it. You need it." William patted his friend's shoulder, the hesitant gaze in Vincent's eyes slowly fading away.

"Alright. But we're waking up early." He let out a deep breath as he dropped his backpack near a nightstand.

"Mmm fine." William scoffed, taking a seat on the edge of the bed.

...

As they settled in for the night, William's eyes wandered from the ceiling to the window, afraid of what they would face in the morning. Vincent's words were right, this place was unsettlingly ominous.