Afterflash Au: Stream

♡ Warnings!: Ennchael ♡

(This is just a new storyline for The Walking Dead Au, instead of a zombie apocalypse, I replace it with a new custom monster, etc.)

~~~

Michael lounged on the frozen and dried-up grass, it was quite cold out today; the calm fall breeze ruffled the red, orange, and yellow-leafed trees. And the chilly air soothed Michael's lungs.

The rest of his family was back at the lab, taking refuge from the freezing air. But Michael was out here instead, in the lonesome forest since Vincent ordered him to collect some food.

He had gotten a couple of berries so far, but he wasn't sure if it was enough. He just kept following the stream that led south, it was straightforward and he wouldn't get lost if he stuck to it.

Usually, other survivors would build their base downstream, he had a couple of bullets and a pistol, which he wasn't afraid to use if it meant his family got fed.

Especially since the sound of fresh fire cackling was so audible now, it meant a group was nearby. Huddling against the campfire for warmth most likely.

......

But no, Michael stepped into the dimly lit area, with messed up tents all around, torn-up food cans, and even the almost faintest smell of something rotting. Yet, no humans were to be seen. The campfire was the only thing that was alive in the perimeter.

Mike tucked the gun he held in his fingers away, looking around the run-down sight for any potential food sources. The sight seemed so clean and lively, what could've torn it down like this?

He sighed heavily, and carefully crouched into the area, ravaging through the leaking cans of fruit, beans, and.. dog food? Michael shrugged, reaching through the dirt and leaves to put the cans that weren't ripped apart in his backpack.

The eldest Afton's eyes drifted to the sky, seeing a yellow faze start to form. It was going to be dark soon, he had to do this quickly. Bandits and thieves liked to come out at night, and he didn't have enough bullets to ward a group off.

Once he was sure he searched around the whole place, he decided to step out; feeling a fresh and cold breeze run through his hair. The air smelled like pine and oats, and the breeze only made that smell stronger.

Michael ran toward the sound of rushing water, coming across the stream again. He couldn't wait to get back to the lab, he could tell Val about the claw marks he found at the site, as well as bring food back for his family.

His sore legs carried him down the rushing stream, carefully stepping over the boulders and potholes that covered the sides of the river. He could see the lab not far away from him as he saw the white building in the distance. As well as a blonde man leaning against it, obviously waiting for him.

"Whew I smell alcoholic, have you been drinking just now?" Michael muttered to his almost seemingly stepfather now, the blonde man and his father had become strangely close these last few months.

"Just getting some nerves off kid. Did you find anything?" He grunted in his usual raspy voice, eyeing carefully as Michael slipped his backpack off.

"Yeah, just some abandoned campsite with some supplies in it." Mike shrugged, getting the few cans out and giving them to Vincent who threw them in a basket.

Vincent nodded in approval. "Good, we have enough supplies to at least last us three weeks." He added, his gaze shifting to the cart loads of cans, water, and other things like medical supplies.

They both stood in silence for a while, thinking the exact same thing.

...

"Well, I'll go check on your father now. I want to make sure he's alright with that bastard next to him." Vincent chuckled, ruffling Mike's hair a bit before going back inside the lab.