Royal Au: Ragged

Vincent laughed and sat down on the bar seat, drinking whiskey after whiskey. An Irish instrumental song was being played by a band up on the stage.

Vincent didn't know how he was going to pay for the wine and beer he drank, all that mattered was that he was having fun at the moment.

His head felt dizzy, he was definitely being affected by the alcohol slowly but surely.

He leaned his elbow back onto the bar tabletop, sighing.

Just then, a woman walked up to the bar and sat down next to him. She ordered a glass of red wine and glanced over at Vincent, noticing his glass of whiskey.

"Mind if I join you?" she asked with a friendly smile.

Vincent shrugged and gestured for her to sit down.

"Cheers," she said, clinking her glass against his.

They started chatting, and Vincent found himself enjoying her company. She was easy to talk to and had a great sense of humor.

Eventually, the night grew late and the bar started to empty out. The woman signaled for the bartender to bring over the tab, but Vincent stopped her. He had won some money from some of the activities at the bar.

"It's on me," he said with a smile.

Later, he walked her out of the bar and onto the empty street, the cool breeze carrying the sound of the distant music.

As they said goodbye, Vincent sighed. It's not that he liked this woman, she was sweet and fun, but he was taught to be a gentleman, he did this to every woman and was sweet himself to every man.

Just another unfair day in this society.

The ginger haired woman looked back at him.

"Sir! Before you go, what's your name?" She asked.

"I'm Vincent, what's yours?"

"Clara, Clara Afton." Clara grinned, looking up at the tall man.

"Afton? Isn't that the King and Queen's last name? I heard they recently divorced actually.."

"Me? A Queen? Look at me Vincent, I'm wearing ragged old clothes, it's just a coincidence I suppose for our surnames." She sighed tiredly.

"You know, you're a very kind man. All the others treat me with disrespect and treat me like a roach. Or a witch.."

Vincent looked at her sadly, "I shouldn't be recognized as kind, it should be recognized as normal.." Vincent decided to leave out that he did horrible things too. He was not a good man.

"Still, thank you. I'll be sure to tell my hus-, well not husband, but my divorced husband about you."

Vincent was confused as to why, but nodded, waving goodbye.

The woman grinned and walked away, disappearing into the alleyway.

Vincent scoffed at himself silently, feeling a twinge of sadness in his chest as he walked back towards his old house. He was poor, very poor, he only had this medium house from his grandmother who paid it off before she passed.

As he walked, he couldn't shake off the feeling that the woman was special in some way. Maybe it was the whiskey talking, or maybe it was his conscience.

The next day, Vincent saw her again but with a man.

They both looked poor, but oddly enough, their hair was quite fancy and they didn't look like any of the people here in this village, most people here had gray eyes and blonde hair, but Vincent surprisingly enough never saw green eyes or ginger hair...

Vincent flinched as the man looked at him, he felt himself melt into this man's gaze, his eyes. They... Were... Different... They were beautiful.

Vincent stared eventually leading to the other man to walk up to him. "What's up?" The shorter man walked up to him, glaring at him.

Vincent gasped as the man pushed him, surprised by how rough his hands were which was caused by intense training with swordmen. Vincent's father had the same rough hands by yielding a sword day and night.

"S-Sorry I just met your friend yesterday and was surprised by your appearance, I couldn't tell in the dark last night." He pointed over to Clara.

William's gaze softened, "Is he who you were talking about?"

Clara smiled and nodded, shaking hands with Vincent.

"Your eyes are... Pretty."

William stared at him but looked away quickly. Ignoring his statement.

"What's your name?" Vincent asked, admiring the man's beauty, from his hair to his eyes, his face, his body, and even the confidence of this man's personality.

"Not your business." He scoffed.

"Sorry, that was weird.. how about I take both of you to the bar tonight, I'll pay."

William shook his head, "I can pay." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a silver coin, which could pay for about 50 bottles of alcohol.

Vincent's eyes widened, "H-How in the world did you get that, only the king and great swordsman get silver! Did you steal?"

William rolled his eyes, "I'll tell you later."

"Meet us in the middle of the town square at eleven tonight." He added, taking Clara's hand and walking away.

Vincent gaped in surprise still at the silver and their looks. They couldn't be newcomers, they built walls around this land to block off enemies and others as this town was populated enough.

Who were these people?