One Hundred Thirty-One

Kathryn 

Smiling, I keep my gaze on the dark-skinned Latino in my bed. His limbs sprung out across the bed as he slept soundly. Licking my lips, I tilt my head to the side as my eyes rake the length of his toned abdomen. If possible, I could stare at this sight all day. But only while he slept. Unfortunately, my attraction for the man vanishes when he opens his mouth.

 It wasn't that I hated when he talked, I loved hearing his thick accent despite being in Texas a lot longer than in his home city. It's just every time he opens his mouth he's complaining. If not about how I treated Casey, then because of how much Antonio hated him, or because Antonio liked Casey more than he liked his father which really got under his skin.

If I knew having a child of our own meant constant complaining from the man... I probably still would've gone through with it. Antonio is such an amazing child. 

Letting out a breath, I lay on the bed, my head swarming with thoughts. It felt weird being home all the time. I wanted to go back to work but the semester is almost over, it'd be a waste of my time to go back now. I almost miss it, though. I missed having something to do with my time than being home 24/7. 

Shuffling grabbed my attention away from the popcorn ceiling and toward the navy blue crib. I quickly spot Antonio wiggling around. I eye the baby for a few long seconds, imagining what life would've been like if Hope never died.

There's always a small part of me that wishes she never died but that same part of me never stops to think twice about Christian. And that's not to say I don't wish he was here because I do. If he were... none of this would've happened. And that's probably why I don't necessarily think twice about the man. 

Him not dying, would mean Casey never left. If Casey never left, I never would've met Mateo... I never would've had Antonio. He may have only been in my life for 3 months but he means the world to me. 

Exhaling softly, I climb out of bed and make my way to the crib. I peer over the wall, staring down at the light-skinned child. His dark brown eyes quickly land on me. Smiling, I reach in and pick him up. "Good morning," I whisper, pressing my lips against his cheek.

I can't help but smile as I make my way into the living room. "What are we thinking about having for breakfast?" I questioned the child on my hip although I knew he could only have baby formula. But his choice mattered to me. Plus, he always helped me when I was indecisive. I hum as I step into the kitchen.

Before I can make my way to the refrigerator, knocking grabs my attention. Furrowing my brows, I glance at the time on the stove. 09:08. Who the hell is up and knocking on my door at 9 in the morning? I stood in the kitchen, contemplating whether I wanted to answer or not.

What if it was a package? No, I haven't ordered anything recently. I tilt my head to the side. It could be Mateo's. But why would he have something delivered to my place?

The rambling in my head comes to a stop as the knocking continues. I glance at Antonio whose attention is directed at the front door. Letting out a breath, I decide to get the door before it wakes Mateo. He needs his beauty sleep.

I glance through the peephole. My lips pull into a small grin as I spot my brown-skinned neighbor on the other side of the door. What the hell is she doing up and bothering me this early on a Wednesday?

I unlock and open the door, coming face to face with my neighbor. She immediately smiles at the sight of Antonio on my hip. "Well good morning, what are you doing up?" she questions, leaning into the child, rubbing her nose against his. 

Watching the two, I subtly pull away from the woman. Her gaze finally meets mine. "Do you not have a job?" I question, not trying to come off as rude but my tone definitely held some hostility. Casey eyed me as she offered an awkward smile. "Contract worker, I only work when I'm needed."