One Hundred Twenty

Mallory 

I step into the bathroom my eyes immediately taking in my girlfriend. I bite my lip as I eye her. Russet-brown eyes land on me before glancing away and landing on me once again. "What?" she smiles. 

I shake my head and approach her, my left hand resting on her soft abs. "You know, I've never stayed at a girlfriend's place for a week," I mutter. Casey's smile widens, "I must be fortunate then."

Humming, I nod in agreement. That she was. I removed myself from the woman before either of us could get carried away. Today wasn't one of those days we could be late for an event and get away with it. I mean, we probably could but Casey would never hear the end of it.

Today, keeping the promise she made with her late father while on our trip, we decided we'd go to church and then dinner with her mother and John. I knew she didn't particularly like John so taking this step was very mature of her. But she wanted to move past their differences and be with her mother more.

"I'm starting to second guess this dinner," the brown-skinned woman beside me frowns. I eye her through the mirror, taking in the annoyed expression on her features. "It's not like John has ever done any wrong to me or my mother but I would much rather not have to force myself to like him for her," she spits, eyeing landing on me.

"It's possible you just don't like him because you've never seen or imagined your mother romantically involved with another man. I mean... from what you've told me even during the separation your parents went through because of your sexuality, neither of them were romantically active with anyone else and even got back together," I try to justify.

Casey sighs. "It just feels wrong," she groans.

I tilt my head. "That's probably how she feels."

The woman arches a brow in confusion, wanting me to elaborate. Letting out a breath, I lean onto the counter and try to explain what I meant. "You were with Kathryn for 6 years," I begin causing her to roll her eyes. She hated it when I brought up her ex-fiance.

I continued despite her annoyance with the topic. "That was the first time she saw you in a serious relationship and to her there was no one else she could see you with. And now you're with me, who's to say she likes me?"

"Well, the difference between her and my father and me and Kathryn is that they were together for many many years. They've seen everything together. And she's just going to do that with another man, it's just not right."

I part my lips but stop myself from taunting the woman. "Well hopefully, this dinner date will change how you see their relationship. That's all that matters to her."

Casey sighs, nodding her head. She finishes getting dressed before we're able to exit the apartment. As we do, we both notice Kathryn exiting her apartment as well. Her brown eyes meet mine first before they move to my girlfriend. "Morning," she offers a soft smile.

"Morning," Casey mutters softly. "What are you doing up so early on a Sunday morning?"

Kathryn smiled, "Oh, Mateo and I were going to go to church and dinner with Lillie and John."

I didn't need to see Casey's face to know she wore a deep frown. The woman's mood deflated as she stared at the woman in disbelief. "Really? Because we were doing the same? Does she know you two are planning that or is it just free fall?"

The brunette frowns for a split second before answering. "She knew, in fact, she's the one who invited us last Wednesday."

I place my hand on Casey's back. "We already told her we were going, don't change your mind now. This is about you reconnecting with your mother, that's the only thing that matters," I whisper to the woman, knowing she wanted nothing more than to turn around and head back into the apartment.