Forty-Eight

) F L A S H B A C K (

Kathryn

I still couldn't believe it. Though I could see the brown-skinned woman in front of me and feel her, I couldn't believe she was here. After telling me countless times, that she wouldn't be able to come home for my birthday, here she is, looking as beautiful as the last time I laid my eyes on her. 

In realization, I pull away, ready to attack her. "You lied to me!" I spit. Her face contorts into guilt as she eyes me. I watch her lick her lips before glancing around as I wait for something, an explanation, really.

"All of this was you... that's why Emily told me to dress up," I scoff, glancing at my best friend quickly before letting my eyes land on my girlfriend. "You fucking lied to me, Casey!" I growl angrily. I had been feeling so down in the dumps since... well honestly since I came back in January. 

No visits all year and I believed her when she said she couldn't make it home for Christmas. I don't know if I should punch or kiss her. I can't even tell if I'm really happy or really pissed off.

"Well, yeah. But for a good reason," she mutters, reaching out for my hand. I move my hand as I raise my brows, wondering what this good reason was. What could ever be a good reason to lie to your girlfriend?

"Knock, knock," the brown-skinned woman mutters. I can't help but throw my hands up in disbelief, "Are you serious right now?" I hiss, grabbing more attention than I wanted to. Suddenly, all eyes were on us and I felt like I may have caused a scene. "Just go along with it, please..." she begs.

Sighing, I roll my eyes. "Who's there?"

"Will you?"

"Will you, who?" I groan. If looks could kill, I bet Casey would be buried 6 feet in the ground right now. Of course, I'd dig her up, bring her back to life, and forgive her but at this moment I was livid. 

"Close your eyes. I didn't think this through," she spits, clearly annoyed with herself for dragging whatever this is, for far too long. "Casey," I begin, already annoyed with her. "Just do it for me, baby."

I frown as I watch her pout, knowing no matter how upset I was with her for lying to me for over a month, that face makes me do whatever she wants. I eye the woman for a few seconds longer before covering my eyes with a groan. 

It grew silent and I could only wonder what prank she was about to pull. 

"Knock, knock," she begins again. 

I decided to cooperate this time and not fight her on this as I was curious about why she had me cover my eyes. "Who's there?"

"Will you,"

My mind races with sentences to finish her question. Will I... not be mad at her? Rolling my eyes internally at how stupid that sounded, I shift my weight. "Will you, who?" I could hear the woman inhale shakily before exhaling. 

"Will you...marry me?" 

I stop breathing for a second, positive I heard wrong. There's...there's no way she asked me that. I know I have to have heard wrong, right? Slowly and carefully, I drop my hands as I hesitate to glance down at my girlfriend. Once I do, I can't help but get teary-eyed at the beautiful ring in the velvety box in her hand.

My heart beats against my chest as I watch her smile and makes a gesture toward the ring, waiting impatiently for an answer. But I still couldn't believe this was happening. It had to be a prank. "What?" I question, unsure my brain was working at the moment.