Thirty-Four

Casey 

With shaky hands, I try to fix the last button on my shirt. I felt unhinged about today. I slowly exhale and drop my hands to my sides as I glance at myself in the mirror. I wish this day never came. I wish I didn't have to go to my daughter's funeral. Quickly I wipe my eyes as I hear footsteps approach me. 

My eyes take in the brunette entering the restroom. Just like I was and pretty much everyone who'd be attending the service today, she was dressed in black. Such a beautiful color on so many different occasions except for when you wear it to a funeral. The color seems bleak and it always matches depression.

I clench my jaw as I eye the woman a bit longer in the mirror before turning my attention to myself. Luckily, I had Cass braid my hair yesterday and didn't have to deal with it this morning, so I have fewer things to stress about. Grabbing my tie from the counter, I proceed to struggle to put it on.

Groaning, I slam the accessory down in annoyance as I quickly inhale to calm myself. Now is not the time to be annoyed, Casey Kings. I flinch slightly as I feel a hand on my back, before the other lands on my shoulder, forcing me upright. Glancing at my fiance, I watch her grab the tie from the counter and place it around my neck.

I continue to watch the woman as she helps me out. "You look beautiful," I mutter to the brunette forcing her eyes to mine. I can't help but smile at her despite today being the shitties in existence. 

"God, you are so beautiful," I spit once more as my hands grip her waist pulling her into me. Burying my head into the crook of her neck, I inhale her scent which consisted of her strawberry peach shampoo. 

We remain in this position for a few silent minutes before the sound of knocking is heard in the living room. I force myself away from Kathryn and quickly wipe her tears. "It's okay, okay?" I mutter kissing her lips softly. Nodding her head she parts her lips to say something but nothing comes out.

Letting out a breath, I make my way to the front door and glance into the peephole. I groan internally as I spot my father and mother on the other side of the door. I appreciate them being here for us but seeing them this many times in just 2 weeks is giving me a headache. Unlocking the door, I open it and let my parents in.

"The limousine is downstairs are you guys ready?" my father questions forcing my eyes to roll. "You went ahead and got the limo anyways? I said we'd be fine just going in our regular cars. It's not like she's having a burial, it's not necessary," I spit at the two.

Kathryn comes into the living room, "I told them they could," she mutters.

I frown in response as I pinch the bridge of my nose, trying not to get annoyed at my fiance for going behind my back and making decisions like this. "You should've asked me first," I mutter softly. The brunette eyes me before forcing her gaze to the ground, feeling bad for not consulting me. "It's okay," I spit, trying to overlook the situation.

Once Kathryn and I had our belongings we made out way down to the limo with y parents. I'm not surprised to find Edwin, Cassandra, and Cassie in the car already. I take my seat on the empty chairs facing the windows and pull Kathryn to sit beside me. My arm wraps around her shoulders as I place my right hand on her thigh.

"We'll be going to the church first and then to the crematorium," my mom informs softly. Nodding my head, I keep my eyes on the scenery outside and silently enjoy the ride as we make our way to the church. On any other occasion, I'd probably be going crazy to be riding in a limousine but today is such a depressing day that I can't allow myself to be stoked about this.

When you go to a funeral service it's expected that everyone is crying over their lost one but none of us had the time to get to know Hope. She wasn't here long enough. As we walked into the church doors, we were handed Hope's obituary with her picture plastered onto the cover.