Seventy-Six

Casey 

Whatever good mood I had minutes ago completely disappears as the rest of the Howard family arrives. I don't know how I didn't realize they weren't here yet. It was way too calm for me not to have noticed. I frown as my eyes land on three very upset siblings of my ex-fiance. 

I swallow the lump, hoping they wouldn't torture me too much. I already wasn't in a good mood, I didn't need their interrogations adding to it. They speak to everyone before reaching me, at the table. "Can we have the table for a second?" Brooklyn questions politely.

Cassandra, Diana, and Kathryn all glance at each other and smile before their eyes land on me. They grab their trash and leave the table. I clear my throat as I grab my empty plate and stand from the table. Before I could go anywhere, Carl was forcefully pushing me back down to sit.

"Not you, Kings," Abigail hisses, setting her phone and wallet down. "We're gonna fix our plates and you better not try to leave," Brooklyn spits, sending me a glare. I swallow the lump in my throat once more, slightly scared of the three older siblings. 

Why couldn't they be like Josh and be happy that I was back? Kathryn's parents finally make their way further into the home, eyes immediately landing on me. I smile softly and stand to greet them. "Uh... hi," I mutter, not sure if it was okay to hug them.

Christine smiles widely as she eyes me. She grabs my cheeks as if trying to make sure I was real and not a figment of her imagination. Once realizing I was definitely Casey, she pulls me into a hug. "Oh, it's so good to see you, Casey. I really missed you," she mutters.

I smile softly as I hug the woman, my eyes landing on Patrick before I quickly avert my gaze to Kathryn. She smiles as she watches our interactions before pulling her gaze away from me. Christine finally pulls away, her hands caressing my arms and ending at my hands as she gives them a firm squeeze.

"I'm slightly upset that you didn't call to tell us you were back," she spits. I clear my throat and offer a sad expression. "I'm sorry. I was—" the older woman pulls me back into a hug.

"I know honey. It's okay, I forgive you," she mutters. My eyes get teary at her words. It made me so happy to hear everyone tell me they forgive me. She pulls away again and smiles at me before making her way into the kitchen. 

Patrick eyes me and I inhale sharply. It felt so weird to see him again without having my father around. My gaze blurs as tears form on my water ducts as I think about not being able to spend another holiday with my father and daughter. The brunette sighs as he approaches me. 

He raises his right hand, wiping under my eyes as a few tears slip. "It's okay," he mutters before pulling me into a hug. I sniff and nod hugging him back. 

Once he pulls away, I glance at Carl who was coming out of the kitchen. "I'm gonna go to the restroom," I mutter, knowing I wouldn't be able to hold back my tears right now. He nods his head and I turn on my heel and search for the restroom.

I'm startled when a hand grabs my wrist, stopping me from going further down the hallway. I'm pulled into the restroom before being able to see who it was. Kathryn eyes me as she closes the door.

I clench my jaw as I try not to cry in front of her. But the task seemed harder and harder. My vision blurs once more as I drop my head and try to think about something else, to no avail. The second a tear drops I sit on the floor, placing my back against the wall. 

I hear Kathryn sigh and she occupies the space beside me but instead of her back against the wall, she sits with her back against the sink cabinet. She reaches over my leg and grabs my hand, holding it as I continue to cry.