Sixty

Casey 

I rub my clammy palms against my pants leg as the terminal finally comes into view. My heart pounds in my chest and I try to keep my thoughts down. My breathing increases as I realize I have to do this. 

Kianna glances back from the driver's seat, "You okay?" she questions, forcing Gina to glance away from her phone. Her brown eyes landed on me, realizing I was definitely freaking out. The Hispanic woman sets her phone down and unbuckled her seat belt as she turns around in her chair.

"Eyes on me," she mutters, forcing my eyes to her. Kianna turns down the radio, the only sound coming from outside now. Gina inhales and exhales a few times forcing me to do the same. 

Inhale. Hold it. Exhale. 

We do that several times before I can calm down. I close my eyes as I exhale, knowing my anxiety would probably come back the minute I step out of the car. Had my mother not had a stroke, I probably wouldn't even be in this situation. 

I wanted to drive to Houston because that would give me more time to get mentally prepared to see my family. But with everything going on, I didn't have a choice right now.

We pull up to the passenger drop-off, quicker than I wanted to. Kianna eyes me through the rearview mirror. "Do you want me to walk you in?" she questions, concern written all over her features. Gina turns in her chair again, eyes on me as she wondered the same.

I can't help but small softly at the two. "I'll be fine, thanks for dropping me off."

The two nod their heads and exit the car with me to give me their farewells. Kianna walks away from us to grab the trolley as I retrieve my suitcases and backpack from the trunk. I wasn't sure how long I would stay but Kianna forced me to pack enough for 2, maybe 3 months. We place the suitcases on the trolley before I turn to Gina for a hug.

She pouts softly and wraps her arms around me and squeezes before pressing her lips against my cheek. I eye her awkwardly. She'd always kiss me directly on the lips, so having her kiss my cheek was kind of odd. But I ignore it as Kianna steps in front of me. 

"I sent you some money a while ago so use that as you will," she mutters.

I smile softly and pull her into a hug. "Thank you," I mutter softly before pulling away awkwardly. Gina was the touchy one and Kianna wasn't so having more physical interactions with her was always unsettling. But that was mostly because she didn't want to overstep. 

The brown-skinned woman smiles softly, "Of course. Text me when you board your plane and when you land. And make sure you let me know when you've made it home. If you need to rent a car, just let me know and I'll send you more money, okay?"

Chuckling I nod my head. Despite having money from working and my father's will, Kianna would always rather I spend her money than my own. I used to think it was because it was her way of apologizing for being such a dick a few years back, but I know she's doing it because she cares.

"Okay, I should go," I mutter, glancing at the sliding doors. God, I kind of don't want to do this. "Yeah you should, you have a lot to check in," Gina mutters, making her way to the passenger seat. I inhale and exhale as I grab the trolley. 

Kianna places a hand on my shoulder, bringing my eyes to her. "You'll be okay, just remember to breathe. And don't think about unnecessary things."

I smile softly and nod my head before making my way into the building, allowing them to leave. The moment I step into the terminal, a wave of nostalgia overwhelms me. Sighing, I try to push through as I make my way to the kiosk to get my bag tags and boarding pass.