Thirty-One

Casey 

Knocking on the door, I quickly peek my head inside to eye my fiance, not surprised when I find her curled up in bed. I let out a breath and enter the room, my eyes immediately moving to the empty spot in the corner where the crib would've been. The minute we came back home last night, I took the crib to the dumpster. 

"I made breakfast," I mutter into the dark room as I approach my fiance. When the woman doesn't say anything or move, I let out a small breath. "Baby you have to eat," I whisper, sitting on the edge of the bed. I place my hand on her arm, turning her to face me.

My heart pounds against my chest as her red eyes meet mine. Exhaling softly, I climb into bed and pull the woman into me. I knew there wasn't much I could say to make her feel better but I knew just being here for her was enough to get her through this. 

"Even if you don't have an appetite, I need you to eat something and drink some water," I mutter, rubbing her back. The woman doesn't say anything as she sniffs, slowly raising herself from my lap. Sitting up, she keeps her eyes on the mattress, avoiding my gaze. I smile, glad that though she didn't want to, she would for me.

Reaching over, I cup her cheeks, forcing her eyes to me as I wipe her cheeks. "Thank you," I whisper softly, leaning over and kissing her forehead. I let go of the woman's face and climb out of bed, grabbing her hand and pulling her into the dining room. I had already made her plate and she had some water on the side.

The woman sits in the chair, picking up her fork. I watch her pick at her eggs, taking the smallest pieces and putting them in her mouth. I let out a small breath as I continue watching the woman, who clearly had no motive to do even the smallest of things. It tore me apart to watch the woman I love to be broken from something I could've prevented.

"I'm gonna go back to work tomorrow," I mutter, forcing my eyes away from the brunette. I knew it would probably be the dumbest idea to leave her unattended for hours but I couldn't be cooped up in this apartment, I needed a distraction from the pain. Just like she has her way of grieving, so do I.

Kathryn doesn't say anything, not to my surprise. It's not like I didn't know this was going to happen, I just wish that it wouldn't. A loss in the family is always tragic and sometimes it can end a relationship. Though she's already told me that she loves me despite pushing me away, I can't help but wonder what's really going on in her head. 

And sometimes pushing me away for too long... may make me feel a certain way. 

Once Kathryn finished her food, to my surprise, she made her way back into the room, slamming the door behind her and leaving me to my own thoughts. Sighing, I set our plates in the sink before grabbing my phone from the dining room table and entering the living room. 

I could practically feel the annoyance growing as I check my notifications. Though everyone was sending their condolences, in most messages I could tell they were more concerned about my fiance. Which makes sense and there shouldn't be a reason I'm upset and yet I am.

Kathryn was clearly getting more attention in this situation because she gave birth to Hope and she has a deeper bond with her. But couldn't they at least act like I exited as well? Hope wasn't only Kathryn's child, she may have birthed her but I also helped get her pregnant. 

Sighing, I shut off my screen and set my phone down beside me. Being jealous about this situation was stupid. Unexpectedly, there is a knock on the door, forcing me out of my spot. I inhale and exhale softly before glancing into the peephole, spotting my sister. Luckily she didn't have Edwin or Cassie with her.

I unlock and open the door for her, letting her in. "Hi," she mutters softly, entering the apartment. I don't say anything as I follow her to the couch after closing the door. She glances around, probably in search of my fiance but there is a huge chance she won't see her. "I didn't expect you guys to come back home so soon," she spits, eyes landing on me.