Sixty-Six

Casey 

Yawning into my fist, I exit the bathroom and make my way to the guest bedroom. Ever since I've been back, my mother's been asking for me to go with her to church, which I didn't want to do last month but I've promised to go with her today. And I'm already regretting the decision. I wanted to go back to bed.

Stepping into the walk-in closet, I grab the navy blue button-up and black slacks I bought a few days prior for this. I get a black muscle shirt and a pair of blue boxers from the dresser and begin getting dressed, already dreading today.

I knew after the service was over, I'd have to stay after so my mom and the preacher can talk to me about things I didn't want to talk about.

As I'm putting on my socks and shoes, a knock on the door grabs my attention. I glance at Cassandra, peeking her head in. "Hey, I have some bad news," she mutters causing me to frown. I watch her in anticipation, wondering what happened. All I could think about was mom and her condition.

She smiles and steps into the room, dressed in a black long-sleeve dress. "Mama kind of told me last minute but I have to take something to the house after church so you will be hitching a ride from Kathryn and Mateo," she mutters softly.

My brows raise before I laugh and shake my head. "That's not happening, I'll just call an uber," I mutter, not wanting to be in a confined space with Kathryn and her boyfriend. Cass clears her throat, "Yeah they're already like 5 minutes away. It's just one trip."

"With my ex-fiance and her current partner," I spit.

The brown-skinned woman sighs, not wanting to deal with my tantrum. But I had every right to throw one. "I can fit in the car with you guys, I'm skinny," I mutter.

She shakes her head, "The backseat and trunk are going to be full. Look, I would've told you earlier had I known but as I said, mama told me last minute."

I groan in annoyance, "Fine. Fine, whatever." I give in, not wanting to argue about something so small so early in the morning. My frown deepens as I hear Mateo's voice in the living room, speaking with Eddie and Cassie.

"I'm sorry," Cass mutters softly and I roll my eyes as I shake my head. "It's fine. I deserve to suffer, I guess," I mutter the last part to myself. Once I have my shoes on, I follow my sister out of the bedroom but instead of going into the living room to meet the guests, I make my way to the kitchen.

Grabbing a few grapes, I turn and frown immediately as I spot Kathryn entering the kitchen. "Cass tell you, you're riding with us?" she questions, moving past me to grab a bottle of water. I watch the woman carefully. "Unfortunately," I mutter.

I watch the brunette turn and face me with a serious expression. "Or you can call an uber and spend $20 to go 30 minutes up the street rather than having a free ride," she spits, annoyed.

Unintentionally, my eyes trail down her body, loving how well the silk fabric hugged her curves. I try my best not to smile as I check the woman out. Casey, c'mon her boyfriend is literally in the living room. I force my gaze back to hers, not surprised to find it already on me.

She shakes her head and closes her eyes. "Please don't do that again."

"Sorry, habit," I mutter softly, eating my grapes.

Her chestnut-brown eyes land on me once again. "Really? I figured after being gone for 2 years... things like that would no longer be a habit," she mutters being petty. I chuckle softly, "We were a thing for like 6 years, Ryn. You really think 2 years would've broken that habit?" I question softly, knowing she wouldn't want her little boy toy to hear it.