REACTION (Dhar Mann Inspired Story) - PART 9

MARC’S POV

The next morning, I got up bright and early to help out with the Breakfast Club debut.

I got there right on 7 as Mrs McGrady was opening up the school as well as all the others.

‘Oh wow, I’ll have a lot of helpers today!’ Mrs McGrady smiled as she helped Marinette take the boxes of baked goods and cereal boxes off Luka’s bike. ‘I wasn’t expecting such a big turnout of help! At least with all of you we shouldn’t have any problems getting everything ready on time!’ she winked as we all smiled.

Mrs McGrady gave everyone jobs to do:

Marinette was given the task of writing the menu on the chalkboard as well as on pretty paper for the tables.

Rose washed and sliced her tomatoes in half and cut up her strawberries for putting on cereal.

Alya wiped down the tables and had brought some flowers from her parents garden in little vases for centrepieces on a few tables to make it look like a more homey kind of feel.

Nino poured the cold milk into small pitchers for cereal and poured out some juice into two small jugs.

Juleka helped Mrs McGrady warm up the croissants, savoury muffins and quiche that Marinette had brought in the oven.

Aeon arranged the tomato halves onto a baking tray for grilling.

Jessica and Nathaniel were given the task of cooking the scrambled eggs then keeping them warm in the oven with the other hot food.

Delmar was given the job of toasting the bread and putting it in the oven to keep warm.

Mrs McGrady put Mylene and Ivan in charge of washing and drying dishes.

She turned to me and Baljeet. ‘Hmm, what job can I give you two?’ she said stroking her chin. ‘I wasn’t expecting such a big volunteer turnout!’ she smiled.

‘Actually, I need very much to speak to Marc about something important Mrs McGrady. May I?’ Baljeet asked.

‘By all means Baljeet! We have everything under control here!’ Mrs McGrady smiled and winked.

Baljeet took me aside. ‘Marc, I had a talk to my Dad about your friends’ uh...situation. They are homeless, correct?’

I nodded sadly. He nodded in understanding and continued.

‘My father in the past few months renovated and refurbished a little two bedroom house not far from here. So it’s nice and close to school for your friend. He’s been having problems selling it. It has been abandoned for years and when researching about the house there are rumours that it’s haunted. And nobody seems to want to rent it either. So when I explained that a student in another grade in my school has fallen on hard times and could benefit from a place to live, my father in his generosity has offered to allow your friend and her father to live in the house, rent free, until they get back on their feet.’

‘Really?’ I replied.

‘Yes. If it turns out when they can afford the rent, they still want to live there, then they can continue to do so. But if they wish to rent elsewhere, that is fine. No questions asked. Dad is just tired of nobody showing any interest in it’ Baljeet smiled.

‘Wow, that is most generous’ I replied.

‘Here is the keys to the house with the address’ Baljeet said as he handed me an envelope.

‘What about furniture?’ I replied. ‘They won’t be able to afford that either right now’ I said sadly.

‘Oh it’s fully furnished. Dad furnishes it from deceased estates that he buys with the furniture included, it helps them feel more homey for showing. They are welcome to use that as well and pay that off with the rent once they can if they decide to stay in the house’ Baljeet replied.