VEGETATION - PART 2 (BONUS EPISODE)

That afternoon, Ashleigh went to meet Joshua at the Tuileries Gardens.

Joshua arrived shortly after Ashleigh did.

‘Hola, Ashleigh right? Sorry to keep you waiting, I’m Joshua Garcia’ he smiled, shaking her hand.

‘Nice to meet you Joshua!’ Ashleigh smiled. ‘Garcia, Garcia...where have I heard that surname recently? Oh, that’s right, I met an Olivia Garcia at Travis’s house yesterday!’ Ashleigh replied.

‘Oh, you did?’ Joshua smiled. ‘That’s my younger sister. Yes, I believe she’s friends with Travis’s sister Isabella, they go to the same school and in the same homeroom together!’

‘Wow, small world!’ Ashleigh chuckled. ‘Thanks for agreeing to meet with me. I know this seems like a strange request to learn Spanish, but I want to surprise my boyfriend Travis.’

‘That’s okay’ Joshua smiled. ‘I think that’s nice you’re showing an interest in his first language!’

‘I think Spanish sounds beautiful!’ Ashleigh smiled.

‘Just how fluent in Spanish did you want to get in a week?’ Joshua asked her.

‘Well I was hoping to be able to learn how to say this to Travis in Spanish without looking when I see him at the Spring Fair on Saturday’ Ashleigh replied, handing him a hand written piece of paper.

‘Wow...’ Josh replied. ‘That is beautiful... and it is possible to just teach you basic Spanish and teach you this phrase to commit it to memory. But learning a whole new language can take a while.’

‘I realise that’ Ashleigh smiled. ‘Basic Spanish and being able to memorise my spiel for Travis in Spanish will be enough!’

‘Great! Shall we get started then?’ Joshua smiled as they sat at a picnic table.

‘Yes please!’ Ashleigh replied.

Joshua went basic for her first lesson and taught her basic common words in Spanish:

Hello: Hola

Goodbye: Adiós

I love you: Te amo

I love you too: Yo también te amo

Please: Por favor

Thank you: Gracias

You’re welcome: De nada

He gave these words to her on paper to practice on her own.

‘We’ll start on the spiel you want to say to Travis tomorrow’ Joshua smiled. ‘But for now your pronunciation on these words is muy Bueno! That means very good! You can add that to the list!’

Ashleigh chuckled as she wrote it down. ‘I’ll keep practicing at home’ Ashleigh smiled. ‘Thanks so much for my first lesson Joshua! Or should I say, gracias!’

‘You’re welcome’ Joshua smiled. ‘Or should I say, de nada!’

They both chuckled.