VEGETATION - PART 3 (BONUS EPISODE)

Friday arrived and Zoe tried to avoid Owen all day. If they had a class together and he looked like he wanted to talk, she would whisper, ‘We can’t talk here, we’ll get in trouble by the teacher!’ and Owen nodded in understanding as Zoe sighed with relief.

As soon as class was over she bolted for the door to get away from him. Just two more days then I can tell you what’s on my heart and mind she thought to herself, not even wanting to look back to see his sad expression.

At lunch, Zoe wanted to make doubly sure Owen wouldn’t find her. She bought a packed lunch luckily this time and got it out of her locker and texted Amber and Jameela.

Zoe: “Got lunchtime detention for talking back to my social studies teacher. Won’t be able to join you today 😢”

Amber: “Wow, that sucks”

Jameela: “Very sucky. But we’ll see you at Marinette’s before the Spring Fair on Sunday right?”

Zoe: “Yep! Wouldn’t miss it!”

Amber: “And remember our plan! We’ll keep an eye out for Persephone so you and Owen can talk!”

Zoe: “Yeah, I remember!”

Jameela: “It will go great, I know it!”

Zoe: “Hope so!”

Amber: “I’ll see you in math class anyway later!”

Zoe: “Yep! Bye girls!”

Zoe sat alone around a corner eating her peanut butter and jelly sandwich as she started to cry.

Nearby, Ashleigh was eating lunch with Travis as usual. She was surprised he hadn’t asked her if she wanted to do anything after school this time.

‘Call it intuition, but I sense you’re going to be busy again today’ Travis smiled. ‘So I’m not even going to ask about hanging out today. Besides, I get to be with you all day tomorrow...’ Travis grins as he gives her an Eskimo kiss as Ashleigh giggled.

‘You are correct, on both counts!’ she smiled, relieved she didn’t have to lie to him again like she had been all week.

‘Gotta visit the little girls room again!’ Ashleigh smiled as she excused herself.

‘No problem!’ Travis smiled. ‘Meet you in math class?’

‘For sure!’ Ashleigh smiled as she walked to the bathroom.

But on the way, she heard someone around a corner crying.

Ashleigh felt concerned and peeked around the corner. She gasped when she saw who it was.

 She gasped when she saw who it was