Chapter Six

It had been a day since Sidharth had left for his international flight. He was really looking forward to it. After all the new found information about her and the way she had started to affect him, although it was nothing major but even the thought that constantly worried for her or wanted her to be okay, that thought had started to bother him. It shouldn't have been there. So after all of this, he really could use some time away. He needed to clear his head.
Sana had been doing fine otherwise but the seriousness and distance in his demeanor in the end had really caught her off guard. She couldn't understand what may have ticked him off or rubbed him the wrong way. She had no clue since she wasn't even thinking on such lines so she couldn't have imagined that it could have been anything to do with her being engaged. She was assuming that she after all was a stranger to him, and he to her, and she had been too much of a trouble for him in such little time so she thought that was the reason that had caused him to pull back a bit. She was honestly fine by it. She was nonetheless extremely grateful to him for all that he had done for her up till this point. It meant her a great deal. She had a good day at work, a busy one. After she came home that evening and was relaxing on her bed, she got to think. She got to think of how uncomfortable Akshay's call had made her, it always did but with him being there, she was all the more hesitant. She thought of how she would just want to get away from talking to him but with Sidharth, a stranger, she had started to feel more comfortable. She still was nervous around him because of his strong aura but she also felt at peace with how he made her understand things so logically, so realistically. He treated her for what she was. He didn't try to overpower her with his knowledge or experience, but he spoke to her with facts and keeping her best interest in mind so that she can see for herself. Just like he made her understand how & why he had to bring her home when she passed out, or how he explained to her that the traffic wouldn't clear out anytime soon and she was free to make her own call. He saw her as naïve, even as a kid, for him she probably was one, but his care & concern felt very comfortable, very personal. She smiled at how he tried putting her at ease every time. His gaze would often make her look away too. He seemed like a mystery to her. Sana also realized that he was caring for her, looking out for her because she was all alone here, didn't know much, was young, so as a good human being he was looking out for her but that was that. He wouldn't keep doing that, he had a life of his own too. Sana also let her mind wander to certain other thoughts then. The thoughts that she didn't really acknowledge but now she felt like doing so. Her thoughts about how hot and how ruggedly sexy, manly he was. She had always had an inclination towards men who seemed manly, who had this ruggedness to them, this intensity, this aura, the authority. He had it all and more often than not, she found herself admiring him. Akshay, she never loved him , but she wasn't even physically attractive to him ever. He was a nice sweet looking boy but nothing that tingled her heart or soul and she was okay with it too, because she knew this was for her, it had been decided, she had committed to it so it was fine. However, now when she had met Sidharth, she realized how his hotness was tingling her. She would shove off the thoughts because of course, she couldn't even dare to think of him, a man she barely knew, a man who was literally out of her league in every sense, like this. But his comfort with her, the way he tackled her until now, with care yet assertiveness was so hot, it spoke to her heart and put it at ease. She again sighed. What was she doing? She shouldn't be going down that way. He had already pulled back, and had helped her a lot. She should let him be now. However, she wanted to do something for him. As a token of appreciation. To let him know that she truly was grateful to him and that she felt safe around him. She sat up on the bed and got excited thinking about it. she suddenly realized that he was away for another four days. She pouted and picked her phone up and started scrolling away. She was thinking what she can do for him, she kept running different ideas through her mind, she didn't even know him properly enough to know his likes dislikes. She also didn't want to do something too big. She suddenly had an idea, it was excellent she thought. She giggled and clapped her hands excitedly. This would be perfect. She now just had to wait for him to get back.
****
The next few days had passed by quickly as she was settling in the work pace and was starting to get a hang of it. at the back of her mind, however, she was waiting for him to return so that she could do what she had planned to do. She was also a bit nervous though because keeping his last interaction with her in mind, she wasn't sure if he'd even take it well or if he even would be interested. She had made up her mind though. She had to do this for her own sake. She just wanted to. She had returned back home and she couldn't hold in her excitement. She was like a baby, her heart was as pure as that of a child's. She would be happy and content with the smallest of things. She picked up her phone, wanting to text him, she knew there was still a day left till he returned back, she pouted, she was impatient like that. She put the phone down. She picked it up again and texted him anyways. She knew his number would be unreachable till he returns back but he'll see the text when he comes. She texted him and out the phone away happily.
****
Sidharth was sitting in his car, downstairs her building waiting to go inside. He had returned back early in the morning that day and after taking a shower and changing in to his shorts, he had gotten in to bed to rest. He dropped a text to his mom that he was back and was now going to hit the bed. He was putting his phone away when he caught her text and sat up to read it.
Sana:
Hey Sidharth! I hope you're enjoying your trip :) I know you won't be back until another day but by the time you get this, you'll be back. I just wanted to invite you over to my place in the evening after you're back and have rested, & if you don't have any other plans. Plz do come, it would really mean a lot to me. I'll be looking forward to seeing you :)
He started at the text and read it again. Right when he was planning on keeping his distance until she really needs him which he was hoping she wouldn't & she'll be okay, here she was. He sighed. He didn't know what to do. He of course had an urge to see her & be around her but he had also made a conscious effort to be careful around her. He dropped the phone down & turned around to sleep. He'll see what he has to do when he wakes up.
Here he was sitting down her building. He was wearing a black button down shirt with the top two buttons open & a black jeans. His hair was set and he had a day's stubble. How could he not come. She had asked him to, so he had to. Sidharth rang the bell and waited for her to open meanwhile he combed his fingers through his hair backwards setting them.
She opened the door and  smiled at him brightly. She was dressed in a  light yellow casual floral below knee length frock and had her hair were straight and center parted. They were straight & cascaded down her back. He could see her face had minimal makeup but she looked gorgeous. Her cheeks had a natural tint. "Hiii, kese ho aaap"? she extended her arm and patted it lightly on his fore arm. "aao andar aa jao" she seemed excited. He smiled and greeted her walking inside behind her. " Mai ek dam fit, how are you?". She looked different. She seemed happier & more comfortable around him. She offered him to sit down and he looked around her apartment. It was small, there was an open kitchen in the living room and towards the side was a bedroom. The house seemed nice and cozy. He still hadn't understood why she had called him to his place like this, was it a date? She seemed so excited. It made him happy.
"So, kesi ho tum? How has everything been?" he asked her while she went towards the kitchen and started to prep something. "What's up? Aisay kyun bulaya mujhe, all good?" he asked her standing and walking towards her. She looked up at him and smiled. She stopped what she was doing and walked towards him.
"Haan haan chill karo, iss baar kisi musibat main nahi hoon. Wo jab se milay ho sirf mere liye kuch na kuch kiye jaa rahay ho haina? Tou mujhe bhi kuch karna tha, so bula lia apko. Ghar ka khana banaya hai apke liye. Akele rehte ho na, mummy se bhi roz nahi milte tou mene socha apko kuch ghar ka khilaun, so here you are" she smiled spreading her arm towards her kitchen. He was astounded. He stared at her intensely. He hadn't expected that. Seeing her message he was surely taken by surprise but he thought she wanted some help. Whatever he had done for her was not some favor, he did it because that's what he should have, and because he wanted to. This gesture & the bright smile on her face had touched him. He moved closer and smiled warmly at her, with his eyes crinkling towards the corners.
"Awie, that's so thoughtful of you, par you didn't have to. Mene koi favor nahi kia tum pe, and neither was I expecting a pay back. Par now that you have, I wouldn't mind at all" he smiled at her. She smiled back excitedly. "Chalo phir, cheti cheti betho wahan jaa kar, ab yahan nahi aana" she said pointing her finger at him cutely. He chuckled. "Kyun? wahan anay par tax lagta hai kya?" he asked her with a serious face. She laughed. "Nahi naa, mat aao, wahan ruko jao. Phir khanay ka surprise nahi rahega na". she pouted cutely. How was he to maintain a distance when she had to be so cute. He let the thought go for a while. "acha bhai nahi aata, lekin surprise surprise tou kar rahi ho, tumhe kya pata hai jo tumne banaya ho wo mujhe pasand hi na hua tou?" he was really enjoying flustering her. She gasped. He was right. She didn't know what his likes or dislikes were, she had just gone ahead with it assuming he'll like it. Sidharth was totally enjoying her state. He was enjoying the fact that she had taken so much pains & efforts to cook him a meal just because he lives alone & she so wanted him to like it, that she was now worried about him not liking it. he gave a small laugh and moved closer towards her. She was still lost in thought and was biting the side of her lip. "Oye punjaban! Relax kar na." he said tapping her shoulder lightly, taking her attention. She looked at him. "Pagal ho? Itna stress kyun le rahi ho ek khanay k liye, hmm?" he spoke softly while tucking a hair strand behind her ear. He had to. She instantly flinched a bit, not expecting it. "Mai mazaak kar raha tha pagal, you taking the efforts to even make it means the world, I'm sure I'm gonna love it. relax, will you?" he smiled softly. See, this. This is how he always talked to her like you talk to a child and put her heart at ease. She smiled at him nodding. "Chalo phir jao wahan" she said slightly pushing him towards the living room. He went and sat down. He had called him mother before coming to her place & told her that he was going to see sana, the girl he had helped making his mother really excited. He had chuckled & told her to not think otherwise, he had told her she's engaged & she must be wanting to meet because of some help that she may have needed. His mother was an amazing and strong woman. She was not one of those dramatic excited mothers, who would get excited just at the mention of some girl. She had immense wisdom and maturity. She knew her son. She was just happy because after a very long time, she had seen him be involved somewhere other than his job. And the way he had spoken about this girl, she had sensed that if nothing else, he did really care for her and was genuinely protective of her. It was very rare for her to see her son like this. He was like this only for his mother and sisters. For the world, he was very unavailable. He was used to of being babied by his family, it was a rare sight for her to see him being so protective of a girl he barely knew. Sana had meanwile dished out the food and since she lived alone, there was no dining table a her place. She had this glass table in the lounge right in front of the sofa where she would have her food. So she started bringing the food there, one by one. He was scrolling through his phone when he looked up. He was shocked. "Wait, is this what you made?" he asked her. She instantly looked up, she was setting the dishes on the table. Shit. Did he not like it? "Ummm why? Do you not like it? wo aap akele jo rehte ho, fancy cheezain tou aap apni flights pe bhi khatay hi ho ge na, so mene socha apko simple ghar ka khana zada acha lagay ga, so that's why I made daal, chawal, sabzi and sarso ka saag for you" she looked at him with her doe like eyes. What was he to make of this girl, she was so..so, he couldn't find the words". He stretched out his hand and instantly grabbed her hand and pulled her down towards him on the sofa. She gasped falling on the sofa. "This is perfect. You'll be surprised to know par I love basic indian ghar ka khana. Even when I'm travelling abroad, mai koi fancy khanay nahi khata. Wahan bhi mai indian restaurants dhoondh kar udhar khanay beth jata hoon. So this is like my dream comfort food." He smiled warmly at her, still holding her hand in his.
"Haye sachi? Khao kasam? Haye Rabba shukar hai. Meri tou jaan hi nikal gayi thi k aap kaho ge ye mujhe khanay pe bula k ye kya gand khana khila rahi hai" she giggled. He cracked a smile at that.
"Chalo chalo, garma garam shuru ho jao." She spoke, removing her hand from his and giving out the plate to him. He did. He devoured the food. It was so delicious, he couldn't believe it that this girl was such a magical cook. Despite being full, he couldn't stop eating. She could tell he was enjoying the food, it made her heart so happy. She ate along with him and he asked her questions about her job, and what her expectations from this job were. He was eventually done and he sighed leaning back on the sofa.
"Uff kya mast khana tha. Itna khaya na main. Maza agaya." He looked at her smiling lazily. She giggled excitedly getting up.
"Ye tou bara acha hua, I'm so happy you liked the food. Par abhi aur bhi kuch hai." She spoke hurriedly going towards the kitchen. He furrowed his brows and moved his head towards the kitchen, what was she up to now? He saw her coming towards him with a platter of, cucpcakes? Was she serious? What was this girl doing. She came and put the platter down.
"Khana meethe k bagheir tou adhoora hota hai na, so I baked some cupcakes for you, meethe mai tou har ek ki alag preference hoti hai na so I went with the safer option" she shrugged at him. He was just listening to her. She had such a beautiful thoughtful heart.
" This is seriously so thoughtful of you Sana, par why did you take so many efforts? Mai sirf ek simple thank you se bhi kaam chala leta" he chuckled at her.
"I know par, I just wanted to. Mujhe apko apne way mai thank you karna than a, aur mujhe khana banana acha lagta hai. It wasn't any effort" she said putting a cupcake in his plate and offering it to him. He took it, although he was not really big on desserts, he had to maintain his diet and physique but how could he deny this? He had to eat it and he would, happily so.
"mmm, this is really good. Thank you so much sweetheart, this was lovely" he looked at her putting the plate down. Did he call her sweetheart? He had said it so casually but for her, it was so unexpected. She liked it. she smiled at him shyly.
"Acha now tell me, ab har dafa kya aisay hi khana khilau gi kisi bhi help k baad? Aur agar haan, tou phir tou bhai apne har kaam k liye mujhe hi yaad karna" . she laughed. "Uski zaroorat nahi hai, khana apko wese bhi mil sakta hai" she smiled at him.
"Apko Pilot banay ka shauq kese aya? Bachpan se tha kya?" she asked him putting the plates away. He stood up and walked around in her lounge. "Haan. I always wanted to be a pilot. I was always very fascinated by the sky and by the idea of being able to fly high up there." He paused and looked at her, putting his hands in his pockets and continued " also, my dad too wanted to see me as a pilot. I'm glad he was able to. He left after a year of me joining the airline" he spoke softly. She listened to him giving him all her attention. She could tell it was a personal detail for him to speak of, but he chose to share it with her. She smiled at him softly and put her hand on his bicep giving it a very slight rub, he looked at her.
"I'm so happy that he could see you living both his and your dream. I'm sure he's super proud of you" she spoke softly looking at him. He smiled at her, trying to make him feel better.
"you know what? You really are a sweetheart, Sana" he said looking into her eyes, in his deep voice. It did something to her. She smiled and moved away slightly.
"Well, I guess I'll leave now? Thank you for being such an amazing & thoughtful host, I absolutely loved the food" he said moving towards the sofa to pick up his car keys. She stood there looking at him. She wanted to say it, so she did.
"Sidharth?" he turned looking up at her. She was standing there and it seemed she wanted to say something.
"I'm the one who's actually grateful to you. Sachi. If you weren't here, I don't know what I would have done, or what would have happened. You don't owe me anything, still you went out of your way to help me out, every time and my heart is at a lot of peace knowing that you are here, in this city. It comforts me, so thank you for being you" she breathed smiling softly at him. He stood there with his key ring in his index finger and the other hand in the hook of his pocket. This girl was constantly weakening his resolve. He just looked at her, observing her.
"Mai yahan akeli aayi thi, abhi bhi akeli hi hoon, mere sath yahan mera koi bhi apna nahi hai, mere sab apne tou bohat door hain. So aap ne meri help karri mujhe guide kia sahi cheez pe, mere liye wo bohat metter karta hai." She continued.
That line did something to him. He was instantly reminded of the reality. She was someone else's. He was not her own, he couldn't be. She was engaged to someone. All this was just a gesture of acknowledgement from her end, that's all. It was nothing more, and it couldn't ever be. He tightened his jaw & hardened his resolve. She stood there waiting for him to respond. He took slow steps towards her and stood right in front of her. The intensity of his gaze was quickening her breaths. "Sana?" he said huskily. She just kept staring at him. He held both her hands in his & rubbed his thumb softly over her knuckles. Her heart beat was escalating at a maddening speed.
"See, I want you to know that you're very special. From the moment I saw you at the store covered in those tissue boxes all around you, I had this strong protective urge for you. I didn't know you then, I still don't know you that well but being there for you came out naturally. I felt I had to be there for you, and guide you. The thought of you being all alone in this city didn't sit well with me, it still doesn't. So caring for you, or being protective for you is no favor that I did, okay? But, of course you have a life of your own and so do I, haina? I'm usually really busy with my flights so there can be times where I might not be available for you, but that doesn't mean you give up. You're a strong girl, who's come here all alone just to make her dreams a reality and I commend you for that. So just know, that you're gonna be just fine, hmm? I may not be as available to you in the future, but just know that you still have me here, if anything ever goes wrong, I'll be here, just a call away." He spoke softly, not breaking eye contact for a second. She kept looking at him, understanding every word but it also made her a bit sad. Him saying that. It felt like he was letting her know that just because he had helped her didn't mean he would be available for her all the time. Of course, she knew that too & in fact she had speculated this to be the exact cause for his distance that day in the car too, she didn't like being a pain for him either. He after all was a stranger who owed her nothing and so she just wanted to thank him today & let him know how grateful she was to him but him saying it out like that? It just made her a little low. She smiled at him nonetheless and nodded. He softly smiled back. He left her hand and softly cupped her cheek. She looked at him.
"Sana, I..just..just take care of yourself & be safe hmm? Be very very safe". He said looking in to her eyes, she looked back at him as intensely. She nodded again.
"I'll go now. It's late. Today was really special, take care Sana" he spoke giving her one last look before leaving and she smiled at him "Thank you and you take care too" she said. He left. She sighed closing the door. It felt so strange. His touch was so different. The moment his hand touched her hand and her cheek, she felt like a current had shot through her. His touch was so strong but felt so comforting. She had already been aware of everything he had said today, she had no intentions of clinging to him or bothering him more. She had made the choice to come here, and she had to find her way around by herself. She couldn't just rely on a man who she barely knew, to hold her hand and take her through this journey. It was just that him saying it like that had felt like a goodbye and she didn't like it. She was beginning to get comfortable around him and she realized that she wanted to see more of him. She went and lied down on the sofa he was just sitting on. She crossed her arms and kept them on her stomach & stared at the ceiling.
She realized how she had never taken any such efforts for Akshay. She had never felt like doing so. It was not like she was a bad person or she hated him, or that she liked playing him around, No. it was just that with Akshay, she had accepted her fate and she had been told all her life that she was to marry him so she had just given in to it, just like all the other decisions made by her family. She however, had never felt that pull for him, even when she had tried to. She hadn't let him be so touchy feely with her either. She had just let it flow the way it was. So when Sidharth came and his touch felt so comforting, his words felt so soothing, it baffled her. She had never thought to feel that way for someone who she didn't even know properly or who was so different from her in every way. And now when he had shown her so much of care & warmed her heart to it, she had found herself liking it and wanting it but she knew better. He had made it clear how he couldn't just leave his life and sit for her, and neither did she want him to. They were strangers and sooner or later they had to go their own ways so it was better that he clarified it now. She pouted her lips and turned to her side taking a pillow and hugging it to her chest. These thoughts and feelings were too much for her so she decided to just give in to the sleep clouding her eyes.