Talking to portraits

Severus and Nayme consult with the portraits in the Headmistress's office.

Sorry I took so long to post again; work has been insane these days. Not a bad thing per se, but not a lot of time on my hands, unfortunately.

🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤

"Are you ok with this?" Nayme asked, pausing, worried, looking at him, as they made their way to the Headmistress's office.

It was still startling to be so transparent, even if only to her.

"Not really." He admitted.

"We don't have to do this, you know. At least not now." She ran her fingers through his hair. "We can go outside and sit on the grass, read together, play chess. Perhaps go flying together for a bit."

That would be so nice. So nice.

"We are still processing the last few weeks." She said, putting her forehead to his chest. "We can leave it for next weekend, for instance. Seven days won't change anything."

"We don't know that." He pointed out.

"Even if it does, we're entitled to a break. We're only human."

Entitled. If only.

He put his arms around her, breathing into her hair. She hugged him tight.

"The fact that we are entitled to it doesn't mean we'll get it, though." He said. "As deeply as I wish it did."

She kissed him. They resumed walking.

"Is McGonagall staying for this conversation?" Nayme asked.

He clearly hadn't thought about that detail up until that moment.

"I... don't know. I don't think she'd want to be there." He answered.

"Yeah, but that's because she'd be assuming this would be a private conversation."

"And wouldn't it?"

"Not really. I mean, we're not going there to visit with Dumbledore, are we? I'm thinking the information we're looking for may well be of value to her also."

The crease between his eyebrows deepened.

"What about... you, Nay? Would you like her to know that too?"

Nayme took a second to mull it over.

"Yes. I would. She hired me; she gave me an opportunity for official employment in the magical world. If I'm a... liability...." Nay said, realising now just how scared she was of that possibility.

There was something there. He had never seen it before. Like she was afraid of herself all of a sudden.

Severus looked at her, seeming concerned. "You're not buying into that bigoted nonsense from the Ministry, are you?"

"She has a right to know, Severus." She insisted. "Plus, her insights might be useful."

She had a point.

He sighed. "Very well."

----------

"Severus! Nayme! What a lovely surprise!" Said McGonagall ushering them in.

She offered them tea and biscuits after they had taken a seat together on a sofa.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" She finally asked.

Nay and Sev looked at each other for a moment. Then he said, "There are issues we'd like to discuss with you... and..." he rolled his eyes, "the portrait."