Spinner's End

Severus shows Nayme the house in which he grew up and some memories surface.

A very emotional chapter, with many possible triggers - child abuse and domestic violence amongst them. Some smut and a lot of fluff and loving support to help make it bearable, however.

🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤

"There's something I've been meaning to do for a while. Would you come along with me?

It was an early morning on a Saturday. Nearly springtime. They had just made love; she was lying on her belly, her head turned to him, who was lying beside her. He seemed wistful.

He had wanted to take her there for a long time now. But there was some shame and... confusion.

She caressed his face.

"Of course." She smiled and kissed him.

----------

They apparated from just outside the castle into a very old house. She didn't need to ask where she was. It was pretty obvious.

As soon as they were there, even while she breathed deeply through the discomfort of side-along apparition, Nay felt her heart tighten in her chest. It was a feeling of sorrow and... fear. Almost like a presence, a scent that lingered in the air, mixed with dust, mold and leather bound books.

And yet... somehow she liked it. A poetic melancholy of sorts.

They were in a living room. The walls were practically covered with shelves stuffed with books; there was a fireplace and an armchair and a sofa, mediated by a round wooden coffee table. There was an open door through which she could see the kitchen.

They stood there in each other's arms for a long time, in silence. Severus held her tight, like he was afraid to let go.

She was a human shield of happiness against the dreariness of that place.

She had a feeling that he didn't really want to be there.

She squeezed him tighter, sniffing his neck, then looked up at his face. "Will you show me your bedroom?"

He kissed her. "I will show you everything."

Then he sighed and let go of her.

Nay looked around.

"How long has it been since you last came here?" She could tell it had been a long time by the layer of dust on the floor.

"Years. Since before the end of the war."

He waved his wand. A wave of golden light spread across the room, cleaning every surface. Scourgify .

"That's better." She smiled broadly.

"Yes. Not by much though." He went to the window and opened the drapes. "This place is a dump and no amount of magic would change that."

"I love it." She said.

He didn't believe her at first, but looking at her, he could see it was true.

"You have terrible taste, dear wife."

"I have a refined taste, dear husband."

He snorted. "You like bleakness, ugliness, darkness. You call that refined?"

She smiled, walking slowly closer to him. "You see bleakness where I see resilience. You see ugliness where I see character. You see darkness where I see depth." She pulled the hair out of his face and kissed him. "It's all a matter of perspective, handsome ."