Ch 144

21.4 The Emperor And The Empress
*
*
*

"Hi, Lilian."

Karloi was standing there. With a smile like he's having fun. His pleasant voice cut through the still air. Lilian continued to look down at Karloi without saying a word. As the silence continued, the smile on Karloi's face began to fade.

"I tried to come quickly... I don't think it's really nice to do so."

He mumbled a little gloomy.

"Yes, honestly, I'm not a 'gift'. That's what I said, too. But the Countess..."

Instead of staring blankly at Karloi who continued to speak as if making excuses, Lilian turned her back. And she went through the balcony, across the study, and into the hallway. Without knowing why she was walking so quickly, Lilian walked as if running. Each time she went down the stairs, she walked faster and faster. Her heart started beating at the pace.

When she reached the final floor, she saw Karloi at the bottom of the stairs.

"Be careful..."

When she saw Karloi with a worried face, Lilian's steps stopped. It was obvious that she ran too fast. Her heart was about to explode. She was suddenly scared.

Lilian stood there helplessly looking at Karloi because she felt awkward. And then slowly again, one by one, she walked down the stairs. Looking at Lilian with rapture, Karloi opened his arms as she got closer.

Lilian eventually gave herself up to the bizarre and overwhelming urge to fill his body and ran frantically down the stairs.

"Be careful."

His arms smelled pleasant, and his voice in her ears was peaceful.

Karloi held Lilian high in his arms and held her tight. The wind shifted Lilian's hand from his neck to his shoulder.

"Tell me, did you wait for me a little?"

The color of Karloi's eyes looking up at Lilian felt hot today. Lilian raised a hand and gently swept his face.

"More than a little."

An honest answer flowed out as if she was possessed by something. At that moment, Lilian realized. The truth is that she missed Karloi a lot. From a long time ago. Ever since she was a child who lived in the dark forest, even when she was right next to him in Purtu.

Karloi smiled at her answer. It was a beautiful and sad smile.

"All my life... I've always been waiting for you. I feel like I'm still waiting for you even now. Even if you're right in front of me, I feel like a crazy person..."

At Karloi's words, Lilian unwittingly wrapped her hands around his face. She could feel Karloi concentrating all his attention on her.

Reacting to every touch of hers, Karloi was entirely Lilian's. From head to toe, from body to soul. Every single thing about him was hers.

Hers that she doesn't need to share with anyone...

The joy of possessing something completely overtook Lilian. The beautiful boy she saved her gave her his life. With endless possibilities in the long life ahead. With room for hope, even unhappiness can be turned into happiness.

As time goes by, there will be more happy days than unhappy days. Clearly.

"...You're a gift."

It was only then that she was able to affirm all the things that had happened with him in the past.