PROLOGUE

THERE WERE TIMES I WISHED YOU WERE DEAD
*
*
*
This day was marked as the first anniversary of marriage between the Emperor of Croysen, Karloi Croytan, and the daughter of the Duke of Delua, Yvonne Delua.

And to celebrate the anniversary of the national wedding, the capital was in a festive atmosphere that lasted for a week, and a party was held inside the imperial palace.

People wandered through the assorted festivities and parties that were surprisingly well organized. But the empire's people were oblivious to the fact that the Emperor actually hates his own Empress.

Of course, the Emperor thought that the national wedding anniversary would just be ignored by the people if he kept them busy with the festivals, but due to the grand celebration, it just made the people wonder.

The Emperor and the Empress did not even utter a single word to each other, making the supposed celebration for their wedding anniversary awkward.

While the Emperor busied himself by dancing with the other ladies, the Empress just sat there with only her handmaidens silently supporting her, showing no expression on their face, as if they were used to the emperor's attitude towards the Empress

The Duke of Delua was resentful at the unfair treatment that was received by his dear daughter. But he can't do anything about it. Especially that his daughter was only the Emperor's wife in name.

The nobles, who noticed the Duke of Delua's expression, approached the Empress and talked to her, but the Empress did not even respond, as if she heard and saw nothing.

It was an attitude that nobody couldn't tell whether it was resolute or cold.

"I have something that I want to inform you about today."

The Emperor raised his voice on this joyful day. His smiling face was so beautiful that it clearly suits him the reputation of being the most beautiful man ever since the founding of the country. But his face suddenly becomes unpleasant.

None of the things that the Emperor informed them in the past, with that very expression, were good. It was his expression that the nobles hated the most.

"It has been a year since the Empress and I have been married, but there is still no successor. It's a big deal. Of course, it is."

The Emperor, who started talking about the matter with a calm face, lifted the wine glass he was holding, and the Duke of Delua couldn't help but to shake his head. The nobles watched the Duke who no longer hides his hostility towards the Emperor.

The fact that the Emperor never slept with the Empress was something that even the rats wandering around the Imperial palace knew. It was really impudent to be disappointed of not having an heir when the Emperor himself was also at fault.

On the other hand, the Empress was still expressionless, as if she was listening to someone else's affairs. It was like her soul was wandering somewhere else.

"Since our relationship is so wishful, I think we need to make some changes on this day. If some changes are implemented, perhaps things will eventually get better as well."

"Would you please tell us what this change you are referring to?"

Someone asked in an uneasy tone.

Without answering, the Emperor touched one of the servants standing next to him and whispered something. The servant hesitated for a moment as if he was reluctant to whatever the emperor whispered to him, then ordered something to the servant next to him. The order was passed down until it reached the attendant's ears who was assigned at the entrance of the banquet hall.