Ch 70

11.3 The Emperor Can't Dislike the Empress (1)
*
*
*
The Duke, who ignored two of Yvonne's letters in a row, casually appeared at the Imperial Palace. Looking so carefree, Yvonne suspected that her letter had not arrived at the Delua estate.

Come to think of it, the Duke was not the only one who was suspicious. Lady Anssen, who said she would go to Anssen's because something happened to her family, also showed no signs of returning.

"...Have you been very busy? You didn't come to the capital city, you didn't answer the letter..."

"Why do you keep asking when I've already said no?"

Despite his cautious attitude, the Duke's attitude was impeccable. Perhaps because of his thin face, his impression became scarier.

Yvonne grabbed the hem of her skirt with trembling hands. The Duke sat flop across from Yvonne and asked with a pouty face.

"Is he on the right medication? The Emperor was just like usual."

Yvonne blinked and asked back.

"What should have changed?"

"...Well."

The grinning was even creepy. Looking unlikely to tell the truth in a good way, Yvonne decided to ask what she needed right away.

"Can I see my mother just once? It'll just take a few minutes."

"If you are, then why did the Emperor suddenly talk about the Delua estate?"

There was still a smile on the Duke's lips, but the question raised scared even the smile.

"The Emperor? It's not... Maybe it's because I want to go down to the estate."

"What does he have to do with what you wanted to do? Why? Did you get along?"

"...Yes, a little. Maybe he trusts me a little bit."

Lying doesn't do any good anyway, and the Duke must know everything. She's sure he already knows that they slept together.

The Duke was not surprised if what he knew was right. However, he observed Yvonne with a curious face. It was a surprise because the eyes were genuinely curious. 'When are you telling me that?'

"He's crazy about loneliness, so I thought he'd be shaken if he shook stubbornly... Well, he's quite what I think he was. You're right. Your face is normal. Because you look like me."

The Duke murmured to himself. She felt dirty when the person she wanted to kill the most in the world looked like her.

But Yvonne agreed with what was said at heart. The reason young Karloi gave so much heart to Lilian's small favor was probably because he was lonely. She didn't quite understand it then. Because Lilian wasn't as lonely as Karloi.

After she came here as Yvonne, she could vaguely understand Karloi. Maybe that's why she couldn't let go of the expectation that Karloi would recognize her, even though she thought it was hopeless.

Sitting in front of him, Yvonne impulsively asked the Duke, who was likely to bleed.

"Isn't the Duke lonely?"

He looked at Yvonne. The one who seemed to have never loved anyone in his life, who was crazy about one goal, and who had lost his only daughter he loved.

She thought he would be angry, but unexpectedly, the Duke didn't say anything, expressionless. The finger that was tapping his knee stopped, and the Duke's mouth opened.

"That's only for people who have time. I'm too busy to do that."

It was surprising that he answered, but the content of the answer itself was not surprising. The fact that the answer was given was surprising, but the content of the answer itself was not surprising. She doesn't think someone who doesn't need anyone can love someone else, so maybe it's a natural answer and the question itself was a fool.