Ch 49

7.4 The Emperor Wants to Know the Empress (1)
*
*
*
What on earth was she thinking of drinking poison herself? She had drunk poison, stabbed herself, and even went wild.

"I seriously ask, why are you doing this? Is it because you really want to die?"

His face turned into anger in a matter of seconds, and then he looked like the usual Karloi. This one was more familiar. When she finally saw the face of Karloi that she knew, Yvonne dismissed his suspicions, and she replied bitterly.

"...That's not it. But wouldn't that be better for you? That's what you want anyway."

"What the..."

Karloi unknowingly tightened his hand in the chair at the absurd remark. But as soon as he saw Yvonne's face, he felt weak. An innocent, clean face seemed sincere, as if she had no sarcastic intentions.

Yes, that's not wrong. The remaining piece of reason and conscience whispered to Karloi.

"...It's not like that, so don't say that. Then does that mean you even took the poison yourself for me?"

"What? What's that?"

"The Queen's Coronation Ceremony."

Yvonne's heart sank in Karloi's answer. However, it should never have been shown on her face. Yvonne gave strength to her closed mouth. She had already said 'no' once, so it is easy to repeat.

"You're going to say 'no', right? No matter how much I thought about it, I could only come to that conclusion."

"You said so before. That's nonsense. Why would I do that?"

"Yes, that's what I'm curious about. Why did the Empress do that?"

He didn't believe what she said so there's nothing Yvonne could do now. All she had to do was pretend to be innocent and blink. Her heart kept beating fast.

What is it? What did he find out? Did he have any evidence? Or is he just trying to figure it out? No, what happens if there's evidence. Is it against me? Shall I tell the Duke?

"Why on earth would the Empress do that unless she was crazy? I'm the only one who benefited from her doing so."

"Your Majesty."

"Why don't you act like the Duke? Why don't you hate me?"

Karloi was now glaring at the bread on the table. He doesn't know where he got angry while talking, but there was a subtle anger in his quiet speech.

Yvonne felt like she had been hit in the head several times, so it was difficult just to manage her expression.

"Why? If I keep thinking about it, even though I know it sounds crazy, I only come to one conclusion."

"...You are clearly misunderstanding something."

"Why?... And you even call my nickname recklessly?"

She curled her sweaty hands and squeezed them. She shouldn't avoid his eyes. Looking at Karloi's golden eyes, Yvonne recalled. His eyes, which she thought were still beautiful, were as if they were swallowing her.

"I don't understand. Why did you... Why do you have a favor for me?"

Karloi, who couldn't bring himself to say the word 'like', changed his words halfway.

Yvonne was now unable to answer and had her eyes wide open. Karloi rose half impulsively and approached Yvonne. He could feel how rigid Yvonne's body was.

"Why did you drink the poison?"

When Karloi's upper body tilted towards Yvonne with one hand on the table, Yvonne forgot to breathe.