Ch 119

18.4 Lilian And Karloi (2)
*
*
*

Olivia Donata, as Lilian predicted, showed her the library quite naturally shortly after. Sorta's books were beautiful and interesting, as Olivia said. Although the overly flashy Sorta's characteristic rhetoric felt a bit exaggerated, she didn't tell Olivia.

All of this was strange to Lilian. Unlike Purtu, where she wasted time meaninglessly, in Lasortio, a day would pass after doing something. It was different from Purtu, where she could not escape Denise's thoughts, or her troubled past.

She opened the bookshelf door of the library, a separate room that Olivia was so proud of appeared.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

Lilian quietly nodded her head. In the middle of her separate room's indoor garden, where flowers were neatly bloomed, there was a tea table, and next to it, musical instruments were occupied one by one. As if someone was going to play at any moment.

And beyond the glass door, there were canvases among green plants. On the wall, paintings that Olivia might have chosen by hand were hung harmoniously.

"Isn't it a little different from Purtu's painting?"

Lilian, who is not very well versed in art, looked closely at the landscapes and portraits hung on the wall. She can't explain it exactly, but it felt completely different. It felt like the materials used were different.

"It's been a while since oil painting became popular in Sorta. In Purtu, they are not interested in it."

Lilian had never even heard of the word oil painting. The Duke couldn't afford to teach Lilian deeply, even in noble areas such as art. She was also busy learning the art trends of Purtu, but she did not know about the paintings that were only popular in Sorta. Instead, he assured Lilian that no one would be allowed to ask her about such a thing.

"Have you ever painted?"

"No."

Olivia glanced over the glass door.

"Would you like to paint one? Just in case you're interested. It's a matter of passing time of course."

Lilian, who had never properly appreciated arts, let alone held a brush in her life, just stared blankly at Olivia's question.

"Of course I know. In Purtu, painting is said to be not a hobby for nobles. Especially, like oil painting... And even more difficult things. I have no idea what's wrong with the Purtu people."

Olivia began to walk towards the glass door, explaining in addition as she interpreted Lilian's expression.

"But this is Lexem Sorta."

It was as if that should explain everything.

"There is nothing like art that distinguishes man from beasts. And apart from that..."

The sun came in when the door opened.

"If you only care about people, life is bound to be difficult."

It wasn't like Olivia's, but her tone was a bit resolute.

"I think we can take root in our lives by giving our hearts to the things that will continue to be there."

It sounded like she was talking to Lilian, but it was also as if she was talking to herself. She could feel it vaguely from the look on her face while she's looking at the canvas.

Lilian didn't give any answers, but Olivia was already unpacking the materials with her old clothes wrapped around her dress. Lilian quietly watched Olivia do it. The smell of oil irritated her nose.