Ch 24

4.5 The Emperor Does Not Know the Empress
*
*
*
"The flower was mixed with fresh Rituna."

Karloi's annoyance was soon replaced with embarrassment. He looked at Yvonne.

"I left it in the bedroom without knowing. So I wasn't able to come because I felt ill. I don't think you might think it was on purpose, but..."

"No... Then, why didn't you check it a little more closely? Without even checking that it was not so good for your body."

Yvonne thought she might have grabbed Karloi by the collar if she just had a little bit of reason.

Is it so difficult to say sorry?

"And I can't eat peaches. They don't fit my body, so if I eat the wrong thing, I have trouble breathing."

Karloi listened to Yvonne and looked over the dishes on the table. It was almost a peach-themed dish. The appetizer was full of peaches because of Karloi, who loves peaches.

In defense, there were no things Yvonne couldn't eat that were served on the table when they're together at the Empress' palace to eat. No, in fact, it was a fact that he could know if he had just seen Yvonne at least once at a banquet.

Even the nobles who flirted with Yvonne for a moment knew that the Empress hated peaches.

He could have passed with a Rituna flower, but he offered to eat a peach as well, so he could have thought that from Yvonne's point of view, Karloi was determined to harass her.

"Ha..."

Karloi sighed. His head was agitated at the situation which was not going the way that he wanted, but he just shifted.

Since they haven't spoken, it's natural that he doesn't know anything about Yvonne.

How could you tell yourself?

However, the sensation of something piercing his chest felt unpleasant.

(I didn't do anything wrong, but why do I feel like this? All the time I was with Yvonne, everything that happened because of her was just annoying, and tiring.)

"Why are there so many things wrong with the Empress? Get rid of all these and serve new food."

Although there was no irritation in Karloi's low-pitched voice, she could feel his displeasure from the faint sigh that flowed like words.

Yvonne noticed it and she suddenly became embarrassed. Her eyes were cold as she, at the very least, was at her own fault for such a thing. She was rather tolerant of him being annoyed with her openly.

When he said that he was worried for her when she was poisoned, it must have been a pure lie.

"Do all of those things resemble the Duke?"

The intention of the question, which Karloi muttered to himself, was so blatant that everyone in the seat looked at the Emperor and the Empress. It was a question that felt like criticism.

Yvonne bit her lips, fiddling with her arms which were covered with her clothes, as the scars in her body didn't disappear.

Her condition was miserable. She became the daughter of a Duke she hated, so she bore the damn scars left by the Duke, and was fed up with having to listen to the Duke again in front of Karloi.

She didn't understand herself as well. It wasn't a day or two that she faced Karloi's cold treatment, but she couldn't figure out why she felt like crying. It was clear that her poisoned body had not yet recovered.