Ch 28

5.1 The Empress Wants to Know the Emperor
*
*
*
"Empress."

She knew in her head that she had to answer, but her mouth wouldn't move. In fact, Karloi's face, saying that he would come to visit her tonight, was so calm.

"If you don't like it, I won't go. Because you asked me first..."

"Oh no, that's not it."

Yvonne reflexively spoke her words. Here, if she immediately answered, 'Yes, please don't come,' it would go straight into the Duke's ear.

Karloi nodded with a soulless smile. When the agreement was reached, there was nothing left to say between the two. Karloi, who had stirred only a teaspoon unnecessarily, opened his mouth.

"The tea tastes good."

"Oh, yes... I'm glad you liked it."

"Well..."

"And bread... Please have some."

While exchanging meaningless words, Yvonne slightly pushed a plate of bread with custard cream toward Karloi. Karloi picked up a loaf of bread with a vague smile.

"Oh, sure."

Contrary to the positive words, Karloi only took a bite, dropped it on a plate and drank the tea again.

"isn't it to your taste?"

"No, that's not it."

It didn't look like it wasn't at all. I mean, there were things in Yvonne's eye even if she didn't want to know. At first glance, it looks natural, but it's like Karloi's mouth is full of energy, or his eyes don't look very satisfied.

It was very strange to flirt with her by saying that he likes something he doesn't even like.

"Let me know if you want anything else. We can just ask them to give it to us."

"No, it's enough now."

Mary Ann, who was listening to the couple's seemingly conversation, sneaked up to the servant, Gorten, who was far away, and asked in a whispering voice.

"I prepared this because I heard he was not picky, what did I do wrong?"

"No, it's not a mistake. You don't have to worry about it. He'll be fine with that anyway."

"It's good to take a bite. You can just tell me. Aren't you talking to me just to get me in trouble again?"

"What? What a nitpick."

"I heard he whispered to the Queen every tea time that he didn't need any jam. I heard he eats dessert without honey or jam, but look at that now."

"No, what are the rumors talking about like that?... He eats jam, too. And since he just had one more bite, it's now two. He doesn't usually eat a lot of bread when he drinks tea."

Gorten was perplexed when he even made rants to the head court lady. It's very embarrassing if it seems like he's trying to harass the Empress even when he's not speaking. It's not that he doesn't understand Karloi's attitude in the meantime, but the Empress wasn't familiar to him to actively treat her like this.

Besides, what's the quickest thing to notice? Normally, no matter how much the Emperor messed up, no one cared. If they had served cakes instead of bread, this would not have happened.

"Well, then I guess it's true that the Emperor's taste buds fall off whenever he sees Her Majesty."

"No, I'm telling you again... I guess he just didn't want to announce it, but if he wants to eat it, he'll tell me."