Ch 98

15.6 The Empress Hates The Emperor (1)
*
*
*

Alexis quietly sent out the magician. It wasn't something that many people should see.

"Your Majesty."

The Emperor didn't make a sound, he just cried.

"Are you all right?"

"I messed up."

It was too rough for a human voice.

"I just ruined her life."

"Your Majesty."

"You've seen all of that Duchess. How a person was ruined. Because of me."

Alexis just thought fate was awful. When the two children met that day, did they know that this would happen? She wondered who could have known that the Empress was the child the Emperor had been looking for so much.

Who knew, of all things, that she was Delua's illegitimate child? And of all things, who could have predicted that Delua would find her? She still can't believe it herself, but the person involved is trying hard.

If they were to find the root of the fault in the first place, it was Delua. Alexis regretted that she had not killed Delua right away. She let his life go on for a long time, only to increase the number of his victims.

"I don't know what happened between the two of you in Purtu, but it's not Your Majesty's fault for what happened to her when she was a child. It was just bad luck."

"As a result, she got involved with that son of a b*tch."

"It's not your fault."

Saying that, Alexis finally realized with her heart. Adelaide's death, of course, was not Karloi's fault.

"Wouldn't it be useless to regret something that wasn't your fault?... I should ask for forgiveness for not trusting the Empress even in Purtu, since it must be my fault. Because I encouraged Your Majesty even more. I will speak to the Empress."

"I'm no longer a child to let you speak for me. Don't do such a thing. She'll only suffer more. It was me who didn't believe her anyway."

When Alexis didn't answer, there was silence in the office.

The most painful thing for Karloi was that the brooch didn't show the whole past either. Lilian's misfortune was too much, even though it was only partly shown. To the extent that it eats a part and becomes a whole.

"It's my fault. I hate that the thing that comes into my head all day is Delua's daughter and no one else... I shouldn't have made promises I couldn't keep. I shouldn't have said I would believe her no matter what."

Even Karloi's voice became quieter and weaker. The Emperor and the Duchess fell into their respective regrets.

A servant's reminder broke the silence. Announcing that Denise's body had arrived.

------------------

When Karloi arrived at the annex with Alexis, Lilian was already there, as if she had heard the news quickly. From a distance, he could see a woman lying on the floor crying. The handmaidens around her didn't know what to do and were watching Lilian anxiously next to her side.

Each step he took closer to Lilian was as heavy as water. Seeing her after seeing all of her past in the brooch was close to torture.

"Mom, I didn't believe it. I thought I'd rather not find you. In this state... I hoped I wouldn't see it. Then I don't have to believe it. I'm just trying to think that you are still alive and just run away somewhere."