Ch 97

15.5 The Empress Hates The Emperor (1)
*
*
*

Karloi could sense that Lilian's breathing became much more comfortable after the transfer magic treatment was over.

"...How the hell did you endure this?"

Karloi, who was holding Lilian's hand, murmured. Chest pain was said to be just a side effect, but it was more frequent and stronger than he thought. Sometimes he had to hold his breath for a while because of the pain. It was just terrifying to think of what she must have been going through for so long.

After feeling such terribleness, Lilian's appearance, when she was trapped in the tower, came to his mind. He just cruelly ignored her. Come to think of it, Lilian's face got worse and worse at that time.

"I should have noticed earlier..."

The physician said that the Empress would wake up soon. This transfer magic will bring her to her senses soon.

But Karloi was scared. Because he didn't know what Lilian would do after waking up. No, he actually expected something.

It won't be long before Denise and Jane will arrive in Purtu. When she found out that Denise was really dead, he was afraid she'd hurt herself. But does he deserve to stop her from doing so?

"I don't know what to do."

There was no answer. There was no way to apologize unless I could turn back time.

"You... I don't want you to suffer any more. I know, I have no right to say this. But..."

Karloi, who was muttering to himself, eventually buried his face in her hand.

"I'm sorry..."

Now, he's used to not hearing an answer. Every day, he recited the same words of atonement as if breathing. So he was horrified when he felt a slight movement in his grasping hand.

"Lou?"

He's sure her hand moved. The physician and servants rushed to hear Karloi's urgent cry. While the physician was examining her condition, Lilian's eyes opened.

"Your Majesty!"

The Empress frowned weakly when the physician called in surprise. The physician instructed a servant to bring water and medicine. A slight cough came out when the Empress' body was slightly raised and the medicine was spilled.

Karloi watched the whole process of Lilian, who was coming to her senses, with a nervous face. He didn't know what to do and just stood there, more like a pitiful fool than an Emperor.

"How do you feel? Do you feel better? You must feel a little light because your pain has gone away a little..."

The Empress nodded very lightly. She didn't seem at all happy to be feeling well. The physician checked her condition one last time and withdrew, now only the Emperor and the Empress were left.

Karloi couldn't bring himself to open his mouth. He couldn't be blindly happy that Lilian woke up. It just felt like his breathing was choking him.

Lilian's eyes, which had been closed for a while, looked at Karloi. The moment he met her eyes, Karloi collapsed on his knees at the foot of the bed.

He once thought that that face was apathetic. He was all mistaken. Compared to now, that face in the past was full of emotions. There was no emotion on the small face that looked at Karloi. Her eyes were so empty that it made him doubt whether she was really looking at something.

"I'm sorry... I, I..."

Shameless tears filled between the words. The Emperor clung to the feet of the Empress, pronouncing the atonement that seemed to be out of reach.