Chapter 48

Kai's POV:

The drive to Portland felt like it took forever. I should have just flown but I didn't have the money and I most likely couldn't have charmed my way to a free ticket. The only good thing about driving was the pit stop I made.

Before I left, I did some research on places that house magical objects. Some places were just dumb gift shops but others were the real deal. I say it like this because I am sure they don't realize that the objects they have actually have magic running through them.

I had stopped on my way to Portland and snuck some objects with me. Of course I made sure I could siphon from them before I stole them. Now I have all the power I need for the merge sitting in the backseat of Liv's car.

Now I am just sitting inside the car trying to talk myself into getting out. I parked farther away from the house in case my dad is home. Wouldn't that be some shit?

I finally get out of the car, quietly close the car door and begin my walk up the drive. Just to be safe I mutter a spell given I still have some magic left in me. The spell makes me invisible to everyone.

Walking past the pillars, I head towards the front steps of the house. This place hasn't changed one bit.

As I walk I to the house I spot the barn in the back and I get shivers down my spine. Not a lot of good memories in that barn.

My feet move slowly up the stairs and I meet the front door. Turning the knob, I gently push the door open and shut it behind me. Now where the hell is the ascendant going to be?

I search around the living room with no luck and when I make my way to the kitchen, I stop in my tracks.

My father is sitting at the table reading the paper and sipping on his coffee. I swallow hard and as slow as I can, I leave the kitchen. He didn't seem to notice I was there so I guess the spell is working. Once I am out of the kitchen I make my way up the stairs.

I've searched Jo's old room and my parents room and still nothing. I let out a sigh of frustration as I stop at my bedroom door. When I walk in my bed is still in it's spot but it is missing my comforter.  I didn't have many but the posters I did have are now off the walls. I wasn't expecting them to keep my room the same. I mean, they hated me.

I check the drawers of the dresser which were all empty. When I reach the closet though, there are boxes line on the top shelves and some at the bottom of the small space. Do I really want to go through all of these boxes? Hell no! Am I going to? Yes.

I start with the ones on the bottom which are just filled of old toys from the kids. I feel myself starting to get angry that I haven't found it yet so I move to the top shelf. Beginning in the right side I take the box down but suddenly something catches my eye. Behind the box next to the one I put down there is something shiny.

I set the box in my hands down and move the other slightly to the side. You've got to be kidding me!

Sitting on the shelf behind the box is the ascendant. What a shitty hiding place. I laugh to myself as I grab the object and tuck it into my jacket pocket. I place the cardboard boxes back on the shelf just how they were and shut the closet door.

Now that I have one of the things I came here for, I have to get the Jos' knife. I descend down the stairs making sure to keep quiet and head straight for the door. As soon as I reach for the knob I hear his voice.

"Invisique." His voice says.

Fuck. I spin around to meet his eyes.

"Kai." He grits his teeth.