Chapter 33

Just hit 20K views 😭

You are all the best ❤️

Nobody moves.

The silence in the room is deafening and I realize that I'm holding my breath. I can feel Kai's eyes on my skin but I don't turn to look at him. Instead I keep mine on Stefan.

His eyes dance from me to our friends and I see him slightly glance at Kai but only for a moment. His feet come forward bringing his body closer to me, stopping when he is a couple inches away.

He brings his hand up to my face, lightly brushing my skin to make sure I'm real. When he touches my cheek I stop breathing all together. His eyes glide over mine as he gets a good look at me.

"Is this some sort of joke?" His eyes meet Damon.

"No... it's me Stefan." I say which makes him bring his eyes back to mine. "It's really me."

He cocks his head to the side when I see a small shimmer of hope flash in his eyes.

"So this is the plan? Bring her back from the dead to make me flip my switch?"

"Technically I wasn't dead.." I whisper.

"Hmm.." he hums as his eyes scans my face.

"Do you feel anything?" I ask as I suck in a breath.

"You want to know what I feel when I look at you Quinn?" His thumb caresses my cheek. "I feel my heart being ripped from my chest."

I let out the air I've been holding as he lowers his hand resting it at his side. My vision blurs from tears but I see him turn his head.

"If you want me back that bad, you're gonna have to do better than this Damon." He doesn't look at me again before walking back out the door.

"Quinn..." Bonnie rushes to me.

"He hates me." My voice breaks.

"No he doesn't. He just isn't himself right now." She tries to tell me.

I turn my head to look at Damon. "I'm not his trigger."

"Yes you are Quinn. We just have to try again. It was stupid of me to think that with one look he would flip his switch." He says.

My eyes wander the room quickly when I see Kai leaning against the small table to the right of me in the entry way with his head tilted to the floor. There is almost a look of sadness spread across his face. I break free from Bonnie so I can go to him.

"You're not coming with me... are you?" He brings his sad eyes to me when I am in front of him.

"Kai- I... I need to help them bring Stefan back." My voice is weak.

He nods his head at the understanding that he has to carry out his plan without me by his side. He lightly pushes himself off the table and stares into my eyes. Lowering himself, his lips meet mine leaving a soft kiss that I can still feel even when he parts from me.

"I'll come back for you." He whispers into my ear and then heads out the door.

I watch him walk away until he completely vanishes from my sight. I stand there with everyone behind me in silence. I'm not sure if they are giving me time to process all of this or if they are in shock that Kai kissed me.

My mind begins to wander to Stefan. More specifically to his touch. When his fingers met my skin something was different. It didn't feel the same anymore. My body didn't ignite at his touch.

His words made me feel terrible like he doesn't actually forgive me for killing him. I know his humanity is off and he isn't himself but with his switch flipped, he doesn't care about anything. That means what he said could possibly be the truth since he doesn't care if it hurts my feelings.