Chapter 42

Happy Pride Month 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

I love you all!!!!

After standing outside of the house for what felt like an eternity, I finally let myself in to find no one there. Walking into the quiet living room I notice a small glass of bourbon sitting on the coffee table.

The glass is half full so I know someone had to be here and sure enough as soon as I think it, I hear footsteps behind me. When I turn around I see Damon walking down the two stairs to take his seat back on the couch.

"Welcome home." He sits down.

"Thanks." I reply even though this doesn't feel like home anymore. "Is Stefan here?"

"Yup. Up in his room probably grooming his hero hair." Damon picks up his glass and brings it to his lips.

"You didn't.. you didn't say anything to him, did you?" I ask.

"Nope. Elena kept her promise and made sure I didn't say a word. Plus it isn't my business anyways."

"Well thank you." I tell him before I turn on my feet and head to the stairs.

I take my time climbing up the steps making my way to Stefan's room. And when I say I take my time, I mean I stop to look at paintings on the wall or books on the random shelf's lined in the hall.

I'm stalling by doing this and I know it's dumb. I know I should just go in there and blurt it out to get it off my chest but I can't. My stomach is knotted and there is that feeling like I might throw up.

My feet carry me to the stairs leading up to Stefan's room where I see his door is wide open. As I climb the stairs I'm sure he can hear me but when I walk through the door I see him really focused on writing something at his desk.

I clear my throat to grab his attention and it works. He lifts his head up to meet my eyes and he smiles. Dropping the pen he stands up and walks over to me embracing my into a hug.

"Hey." I say with my head pressed to his chest.

"I'm glad you're home." He lets out a sigh of relief.

I don't say anything back. Instead I let him hold me in his arms because this will be the last time he will be able to. He loosens his grip on my waist so he can see my face.

His hands cups my cheeks as he pulls me into a kiss. My hands, however, stay by my side while he presses his lips to mine. This doesn't feel the same as it used to.

"I missed you." He pulls away.

I give him a soft smile. "Stefan we need to talk."

He nods in agreement. "Yeah we do. I can't believe you are related to Klaus."

"Oh...uhm yeah. Sorry I didn't tell you all sooner." I say. "I didn't want you guys to see me the way you see him."

"You know that would never happen." He shakes his head.

"I know." My eyes fall to the floor. "But... I didn't come back so we could talk about my relation to Klaus..."

"Okay?" He tilts his head to the side.

"Maybe we should sit down." I walk over to his bed taking a seat.

Not too long after, he sits himself beside me looking concerned and waiting for my to speak.

"I didn't come here to talk about Klaus because... well I wanted to talk about someone else." My eyes stay on my fingers which are tapping my leg.