Chapter 45

Thank you guys so much for 50K reads!!! I'm in shock 🥺

My arms are crossed over my chest and I keep my eyes on Kai even though I can feel Jo's eyes on me. Do I even bring up the fact that he's the one who asked for our memories to be erased? Or should I just focus on one task right now?

"Can we talk for a second Kai?" I ask.

"Yeah sure." He turns to Jo. "You stay here, we will be right outside."

She lets out a sigh of annoyance when Kai walks over to me and opens the door. Letting me out first, he follows close behind and shuts the door.

He gives me a smile and comes in for a kiss but I back away. He furrows his brow and doesn't know what to think about my rejection.

"Did I do something wrong?" He asks.

"When were you going to tell me?" I drop my arms.

"Tell you what?" Confusion has spread across his face.

"That whoever loses in the merge will die!" My voice is raised and it makes him grab my shoulders with one hand while the other goes to his mouth, his pointer finger pressed to his lips to shush me.

He pulls me over to the side of the hall where there aren't to many people to listen in. I mean this isn't exactly a normal conversation.

"I wasn't going to tell you because you don't need to worry about it." His hands still rest on my shoulder.

"Are you serious? I don't have to worry about it?" I jerk my shoulders so his hand fall off. "Kai if you aren't strong enough to beat her then you'll die!"

"But I am strong enough to beat her." He tells me.

"So then she dies? Kai this isn't right." My hand rubs my forehead before brushing through my hair out of panic.

"It needs to be done though." He grabs my hand. "If we don't do it then it's up to Luke and Liv. They shouldn't be the ones to do this. It should be up to Jo and I."

"Where are you going to get magic from?" I question.

"I'm working on that." He shrugs.

I pinch the bridge of my nose with my thumb and index finger.

"Baby look.." he begins as I bring my eyes up to him. "I have this under control. I just need you to trust me, okay? Everything is going to work out and then we will have the rest of our lives to be with each other."

I stare into his eyes and think it over. Do I tell him no that I don't want him to do this? I don't want Jo to die and if he is wrong... if he isn't strong enough to beat her... I don't want to lose him.

"Isn't there a way that you can do the merge without anyone dying?" My voice has now gone quiet as tears start to form in my eyes.

"No there isn't." He tells me.

I slowly nod my head but before I could say anything the door opens to the hospital room. Jo peeks out, s  searching the hall until her eyes land on us. She makes her way over not breaking the eye contact.

"I'll do it." She says once she is standing in front of Kai.

Kai's POV:

My eyes widen at her sentence. She's going to do it. I didn't think it was going to be this easy to get her to agree. Sure, there was some yelling back and forth before Quinn came into the room but I was expecting more of a fight.

I look over at Quinn who has the same expression on her face as me. Her eyes stay on Jo then move to meet mine.

"Why are you agreeing to do this?" Quinn asks, looking back to Jo.