Chapter 17

When Kai told me I could choose where we could go, the first thing that popped into my head was the beach. It is one of my favorite places to be in the world but then I thought of somewhere else.

I've always wanted to go home to New Orleans but was to afraid. I told Kai this and he asked if I was completely sure this is where I wanted to go. I said yes and that we could drive to a beach somewhere else in Louisiana if I wanted to go that bad.

We packed the bags into the trunk of Damon's car and set off on our journey. The drive is almost 14 hours which is going to feel like a lifetime. I take the map out of the glove box so I can give Kai directions.

We made a plan to stop somewhere in North Carolina for a break and then again in Georgia for another. I wanted to stop as little as possible so we could get just get there. My nerves start to take over my body. I think the last time I was in New Orleans was in the 1919. Right before our father made us flee from the city.

The top is down on Damon's Camaro and the wind is blowing my hair all over the place. I search through my backpack for a hair tie and put it up in a messy bun. Out of the corner of my eye I see Kai steeling glances at me as I tie my hair.

I turn my head to look at him once it's up and give him a soft smile. I reach my hand down to the radio, finding a station I like before turning it up. As the music blares I can't help but enjoy the moment. I raise my arms up into the air feeling the pressure of the wind. Letting my head drop back on the seat, I close my eyes and bask in the sun.

Kai is driving really fast. I lift my head so see he's pushing 100 but I guess it's fine since there are no cops. It's so weird to think of. The fact that you can literally do anything or get away with anything here. As I think of this I feel Kai's hand rest on my leg making me center my focus on him.

"What's on your mind?" He asks. I didn't realize he turned the radio down.

"Just thinking about how strange it is that we are the only two here. We can do anything we want. We could rob a bank and get away with it!" I laugh at the thought even though we wouldn't need the money anyways.

He chuckles. "Yeah I guess we could." His give my leg a light squeeze. I smile as I look back to my right to take in the scenery.

——

"Quinn...wake up." I hear Kai's soft voice. I must have fell asleep without realizing it. I look over to him then around us seeing we are at a gas station and the sun is starting to set.

"Where are we?" I ask with a sleepy voice.

"Georgia. I drove straight through. I didn't feel like stopping in North Carolina." He helps me out of the car.

"I've been asleep for that long?"

"Mhm. But I needed gas and had to wake you in case you wanted to grab any snacks." He said.

We walk through the front doors and start our search down the aisles. I grab a couple bags of chips, some candy and a couple drinks. When I meet Kai at the the door to leave I notice he has Pork rinds.

"Those are disgusting." I state.

"Don't hate on my rinds." He smiles. I lead the way out of the door and to Damon's car.

"Do you want me to drive?" I ask as I toss the supplies in the backseat.

"No it's okay." He heads for the drivers door.

"Kai you could probably use some rest. I don't mind driving the rest of the way." I offer.

"Do you even know the way? I mean if I fall asleep you shouldn't look at the map while you're driving." There's concern in his voice.

"I have been on this earth for a very long time Kai, I know my way around." I reassure him. He stares at me for a second before coming over to the passenger side door, kissing my softly before opening the door.

It doesn't take long for Kai to fall asleep. As he sleeps I turn the radio to a low volume so it doesn't wake him. I actually don't like driving. I'm normally full of panic when I'm behind the wheel.

It's not that I don't trust myself, I just don't trust the other people on the road. You'd think that since I'm basically immortal it wouldn't scare me but it does. But now, with no one on the road but us... I find it to be peaceful.

I let my arm rest on top of the car door and stick my hand out into the wind. The air is warm and strong. This is the most peace I have ever felt in my entire life. Right now on this open road with Kai beside me.

Time flies while I drive as fast as I let myself. I pass a sign that read "Welcome to Alabama" which meant we were getting closer. My heart starts to race at the thought of our arrival. I don't even know what we will do in a place that is supposed to be full of life and is now a ghost town. I bend my arm so now my head is resting in my hand as I keep driving.

The last four hours blinked by. Kai is awake now and eating his pork rinds... so gross.

"You know I'm not kissing you after you eat those." I state.

He looks offended. "Oh come on Quinn." He unbuckles his seat belt and leans closer to my placing a kiss on my cheek. His hand reaches up and grabs my jaw holding it in place. His lips move from my cheek closer to my lips.

"Kai stop I'm driving!" I laugh.

"It's not like you're going to hit anyone." He moves my head to turn towards his and he kisses me on the lips. "See that wasn't that bad."

"I was holding my breath the whole time." I joke. I push him away so he's out of my space.

He shakes his head with a smile as we approach the next sign welcoming us to New Orleans. Out of panic I pull the car to the side of the road and hit the brakes, making Kai shoot forward in his seat.

"What the hell Quinn?" His hands on the dash.

"This was a bad idea...we should just go to the beach." My grip on the steering wheel is tight leaving my knuckles white.

"Quinn..." I feel his soft touch on my chin, turning me to face him. "Why is this so hard for you? You were actually kind of excited before we left."

"I know but....There's just a lot of stuff that happened here... it's going to bring back old memories and...I just... I don't know if I can handle that."

"You can." He reassured me. "You are strong baby... and I'll be here with you."

I smile at his words and nod my head. I'll be fine. This will be okay. My head turns back to the road as I start driving towards Bourbon Street.

So as you can probably tell, this story doesn't really follow the timeline of TVD. I'm also mixing in some of the originals content in here since Quinn is one after all :)

What things do you think happened here that will bring up memories for her???