Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

All Rights Reserved

*Natalie's POV*

As Niall's mom looks over at me, there is a look of disgust in her eye. "You must be Natalie," she says and goes back into the kitchen.

"I don't think your mom likes me very much," I say and look down at my feet.

"Nonsense," Niall responds trying to make himself believe it.

"Well, if it makes anything any better, Natalie, I think you are great with Niall. I personally want to welcome you into the family, but our mom thinks that you are just using Niall," Greg explains and I become offended.

Use Niall? I love him with all my heart. I wouldn't hurt him even if my life was on the line. I would do anything for the blond Irish boy. He stole my heart and I don't know why. It was something about him and if this lady thinks I would use such a sweet boy like Niall, she doesn't know what she's talking about.

"What? I thought my mom would love her," Niall exclaims and pulls me closer to him.

"Well, not everyone in life is going to like me, Niall. I am so sorry," I explain and he shakes his head.

"No. My mom has to love you. She just has to. Now there is a big hole in my plan," Niall explains and I just kiss his cheek.

"It's ok, Niall. If your mom doesn't approve of me, I can go," I say and no matter how much I want to be with Niall, his mom would never let us be together. I can tell. She hates me.

"No, don't leave, Natalie. You just have to prove to her that you aren't using me," Niall states and Greg scoffs.

"You think you can change mom's mind? Good luck with that," he adds and I feel like crying. I want to just snuggle with Niall in front of a fire and cry into his chest. I want to kiss him and I want to talk to him alone for the rest of my life. I want to be by Niall's side for my whole life, but if I can't get his mom to like me, what is the point?

"Just don't listen to my mom. Once she gets to know you, she'll love you," Niall says trying to comfort me and I nod my head.

"Ok," I respond and he wraps me in his arms.

"If she doesn't approve of you, I don't care. I want you to be the girl I wake up to every morning and I want you to be the girl I kiss every night before I go to bed. I want you to be the one who I wait for at the altar. I hope that our future is promising and if my mom ruins that for me, I would never forgive her. I am 20 and you are 18 turning 19 very soon. I think we know when we are in love," Niall explains to me and I smile. I now know for sure that I would do anything to keep this boy happy.

"I want to you to be the guy I spend the rest of my life with," I respond and he kisses me. I break the kiss and smile as I look into his blue eyes. "I love you."

"I love you, too," he replies.

"If only our mom would believe that you really love him," Greg states sarcastically.

"How about we go out to dinner?" Niall suggests.

His mom comes out of the kitchen. "That sounds like a good idea. I didn't feel like cooking tonight anyway. Greg, drive us to the restaurant down the street," she commands and Greg rushes out to the car. Niall takes my hand and we follow his mom to the car.

Niall and I got stuck in the backseat. He puts his arm around me and his mom doesn't look very happy with our relationship at all.

We arrive at the restaurant and we get seated. "What would you guys like for a drink?" the waiter asks.

"Water," I say and everyone else orders something to drink. The waiter leaves and Niall puts his hand on my knee. I smile.

"So, Natalie, what are your grades?" his mom asks me.

"I've had all As all my life. I take school very seriously. I was actually the valedictorian for my senior high school class. I currently attend Hofstra in Hempstead, New York," I explain and she smiles.

"So, you are like an over achiever?" she asks me and I feel like crying. I remember when I was in 7th grade, a lot of the boys would call me an over achiever as a cruel joke. It brought back those memories and I just sit there and bite on my bottom lip to prevent myself from crying.

"Well, I wouldn't put it like that," I say and instantly feel so uncomfortable.

"And do you have any siblings?" she asks.

"No. I am an only child with just my mom, but I haven't seen her in months because I am away at college," I exclaim.

"Of course, talking about school again," she mocks me.

"I am so sorry?" I ask and I feel realy bad.

"Don't apologize for being you. You can't help it," she retorts in a nasty manner.

"Um, may I go to the bathroom?" I ask and Niall just takes my hand.

"It's ok," he whispers. I don't listen. I go to the back of the restaurant and head into the girls' bathroom with tears threatening to spill from my eyes any second.

"I can't believe this," I whisper to myself in the mirror. I wash my face quickly and stop tears with all my strength. I open the bathroom and door and see Niall standing up about to yell at his mother. I feel even worse knowing I am the reason why his family is being torn apart.

All of a sudden, I see somebody towards the entrance of the restaurant pull out a gun and hold it by their side as if waiting for the perfect moment.

I run over there and Niall is crying. Greg and his mother stand up and leave to go home with the inention of leaving Niall and me here.

The guy with the gun pulls it up and I can tell he's aiming for Niall. I jump in front of Niall right when he pulls the trigger and prevent it from hurting Niall. I feel a sharp pain in my right shoulder as I lay on the floor grabbing it. My hand becomes drenched with red liquid and see blood every where. I don't see the shooter any where. He left.

Niall comes running over along with Greg and their mom. "Natalie," he whispers as tears spill down his face. "Why did you do that?"

"I saved your life because I would risk mine just so you can be all right," I explain and he becomes even more confused. "I love you."

"I love you, too, Nat," he responds and I feel myself getting a little light-headed. My head starts spinning and I begin seeing double. My vision starts fading and I can hear Niall screaming 'No' as my head falls to the ground. Darkness.