🌸 Still With Us 🌸

[bittersweet, fluff]

Training ground seven was hardly recognizable, and Sasuke was pretty damn proud of that fact. Cherry blossom petals were scattered everywhere, with tables and chairs covered in white cloth carefully placed around a wide wooden floor (Yamato insisted on it; that, the actual cherry blossom trees, and the delicate gazebo at the end of the long carpet). A buffet-style dinner was available at the sides, and he was grateful the caterer made true to his words. The gazebo was a beautiful white domed structure, with delicate curving flowers and a beautiful wooden chair at the top of the steps, the back subtly resembling cherry blossoms. 

The guests were enjoying the appetizers in advance as he requested them to, Sarada's genin batchmates immediately gravitating towards the small photobooth in the corner and pestering the poor photographer. Gai and Kakashi were at it again at the mini-bar, but even he could tell they were holding back to not be drunk during the program.

He checked his watch. It was almost time for Sarada's entrance, and while he didn't know how she'd do it, knowing her, she'd nail it front and center.

She was his daughter, after all.

The murmurs of the guests died down as they saw the cherry blossoms on the grass swirl and float in the air. A gust of wind blew, gathering the petals into a swirling mini-tornado at the center of the gazebo. He smirked. After the wind died down, the petals revealed the star of the celebration. 

Sarada stepped down from the gazebo and faced her guests, waving and grinning. They cheered, Chouchou's voice the loudest.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARADA!!!" She thanked everyone for coming, and all those who made the debut possible. At her cue, she and seventeen others performed a set of hand signs simultaneously. They disappeared in a swirl of petals and reappeared on the "dance floor". Music began to play, and the cotillion commenced.

He was a bit iffy with the 18 roses and the cotillion, but seeing Sarada happy reminded him of why they were having the party in the first place. It was she who insisted on the cherry blossom theme, who took charge in the preparations for the party, saved up money from her missions to pay for a good chunk of the fees (despite his insistence that he handle it), who spent sleepless nights perfecting the jutsu (with help from Kakashi) and teaching it to her friends.

Now, seeing his little girl, now a young woman, dancing, laughing, and smiling, he felt a wave of pride, and at the same time pain. She was leaving the nest now. He did his best to raise her right, to do it in the way she would have done, with love, gentle sternness, and constant understanding. Of course, he wasn't perfect; he was still a broken man, in more ways than one. They were both broken, and both had to piece together the other's heart while mending their own.

He still wondered what would have happened had he not left the village. Had he stayed with his Sarada, stayed in the village, stayed with Sakura.

Maybe she would still be alive.

| - |

Sasuke sank into a stool in the bar, his hand swirling a glass of non-alcoholic wine (he refused to be drunk today). Arranging the gifts, game prizes, and coordinating with the caterer drained the energy out of him, and he just wanted to sit down for a while.

But, of course, Naruto came.

"Sasuke! Come on, it's the best part of the ceremony!" He clicked his tongue.

"I don't remember any ramen-related event in the program." Naruto glared at him.

"I'm talking about the cake and speech, asshole." At that, Sasuke immediately stood up and followed his friend to the gazebo, where everyone was gathered. He joined the singing, opting to do so quietly as opposed to Naruto's boisterous voice. Sarada's smile never dimmed, and she blew the candles on the three-level cake. Her eyes softened at the sight of it. It was a mix of sakura and matcha flavor, and a cherry blossom tree design curled around the cake. At the very top, the branches curled around an uchiwa fan, with its proud red and white colors.

He met his daughter's eyes and gave an imperceptible smile, one she returned.

Chouchou threw her arm over Sarada's shoulder, her other hand holding the mic. "Alright folks! Let's all settle down, and I have a few words to say before we move on to our beautiful--" she winked at Sarada"--debutante's speech." The guests returned to their seats in a rustle of clothing. Once everyone was seated, Sarada on the chair in the gazebo Chouchou grinned at her.

"Okay, so lemme tell y'all about this girl. While I could go on and on about her skills as a ninja and how she's a literal badass, I'll focus on something a little more serious, which, knowing me, is her fashion sense." The audience chuckled, Karui mock sighed while hiding a smile, and Sarada laughed. Chouchou waved her hand while grinning.

"Nah, I'm kidding." She began to walk around. "Sarada is one of the best people you'll ever meet and have the pleasure of befriending, if you manage to get past her outside walls. She is strong, smart, beautiful, kind, and a damn good listener. Sara," she turned to her, "I'm honored to be your best friend. I'm grateful that you trust me with your joys, your sorrows, and your shortcomings. It's been hard for you, girl, I know. But you're here now, you're here with us, and I'm sure your mama's here too." Sarada had tears in her eyes as she embraced her.

I'm sure your mama's here too.

Yes, Sasuke smiled--taking in the cherry blossom decorations, the petals gently scattered on the floor, and the faint sweet smell of a woman's perfume mixed with the spring breeze--Sakura was here too.

| - |

The celebration was over, and to make things easier, he swept up the scattered petals and trash with a simple wind jutsu, leaving it to the others to dispose of it. He helped with folding the tablecloths and rolling the carpet. Yamato, Kakashi, Sai, and Naruto were all kind enough to stay and help. Sarada emerged wearing normal clothes, hair curly but no longer styled, and makeup removed from her face. She began to help with the packing, despite Naruto's protests.

At long last, they were done, and only Sasuke and Sarada were left in the clearing. The three poles where so many memories were tied to stood tall, and from behind one Sarada took out a simple wooden guitar. She beckoned him forward.

"Papa... I know you're tired, and I would have said this during the party but I thought you'd like it better if it was just the two of us." He nodded, silently cueing her to continue.

"It's been hard on both of us since Mama died. You had to come back from your long mission and take care of me, and I just want you to know that it's not your fault. None of it is. I don't know if Mama would still be alive if you had stayed, and it doesn't matter." He closed his eyes.

"I... Everything I want to say is in the song, and I know you know it too, so sing along if you want to."

Her fingers softly strummed the guitar, and he smiled, knowing the tune very well. Tears began to build in Sarada's eyes, but her fingers continued to pluck at the guitar.

You got your wings now you cant stay 

Take those dreams and make them all come true 

Butterfly Fly Away (butterfly fly away) 

 We been waiting for this day 

All along and know just what to do 

Butterfly, Butterfly, Butterfly, 

 Butterfly Fly Away

The spring breeze wrapped around them like an embrace, with the scent of sakuras lingering in the air.

~~~

Written by asonnetforyou