🌸Forgive Me🌸

[angst, modern AU]

Sakura Haruno walked off the plane, mind determined and set on getting to her office

Sakura Haruno walked off the plane, mind determined and set on getting to her office. She felt her phone vibrate from her pocket.

"Haruno."

"Hey, Sakura. Stop being so formal. It's just me."

Sakura smiled and sighed, "hey, Naruto."

"So." Naruto continued, "you landed yet?"

"Just got on a taxi headed to the office." Sakura replied as she gazed out the taxi window at the New York skyline, "I'll see you in a little bit."

"Oh, yes! Lee will be so excited to see you, too!" Sakura could practically hear the smile on the Uzumaki's face.

"Okay." Sakura rolled her eyes at the click of Naruto's phone hanging up.

My name is Sakura Haruno. CEO of the Haruno Corporation of Medical Sciences. I just got back from a mission trip in Africa, installing new medical branches there. Now here I am, back home in New York. I had told my best friend, Naruto Uzumaki, that I was going to meet him at my office. However, I may have failed to tell him that I wanted to stop by my apartment first for a shower.

Sakura was surprised at the quick drive from the airport to the apartment building. She grabbed her bags and headed up. She quickly sent a text to Naruto apologizing for her slight delay, then proceeded into her apartment with her card key.

Sakura inhaled and exhaled slowly as she gazed around her apartment, "welcome home."

She dropped her keys on the counter and walked into her bedroom. It was already midnight, and she had to admit, she was exhausted. She collapsed onto her bed and almost didn't feel like getting up. But she knew she just had to when her phone dinged. She assumed it was Naruto, reaching to read the text.

Sakura. Remember me?

She squinted at the screen, casually taking in the unfamiliar number.

Who is this?

She replied simply, being replied to with a simple answer.

Your best friend.

She shuddered at the thought, How can I trust you?

The reply only scared her, You can trust me.

She decided to step away from it for a while, until she heard a knock at the door.

"Hello?" She peeked out the door, but gasped when the unexpected visitor pushed the door open.

"Sakura."

"Y-you..." Sakura's face went pale, "what are you doing here?"

"Welcome back. Heard you were out of the country?"