Fan Meeting (pt. 1)

Ransom didn't give Kaya time to have pause. He reached out to the door and pushed it open before she could protest. 

Protest, she might have, had she known the sheer number of fans awaiting Ransom's arrival. 

Like a spotlight, the sun outside shrouded Ransom and Kaya as they stepped into the banquet hall. 

A shriek started in the closest corner and worked its way around the room. Kaya didn't know which fan broke ranks first, but suddenly they were flying en masse toward Ransom. 

Kaya took a step back, using Ransom's arm and shoulder as a shield. Ransom caught her fingers in his hand.

A pair of security guards stepped forward to hold back the craziness.

The door clicked closed. 

The screams softened and changed into murmurs of displeasure and annoyance. 

Ransom lifted a hand, and miraculously they all quieted. "If you can all take your seats, we can begin. Time is precious, after all." He gave Kaya's fingers a gentle squeeze, presumably to reassure her. 

Though they mumbled again, ecstatic fanatics retreated back to their seats. 

Kaya had never been to a fan-meeting before, but she didn't think they usually ran like this. So informal. So unorganized. Did he plan this overnight? She could see that happening. Ransom didn't seem like the "fan-meeting" type. 

The security guards waited until the majority of fans (mostly girls under the age of thirty) had taken their seats. Then, and only then, did they escort Ransom to the small stage at the other end of the room. 

Ransom never let go of Kaya's hand. Not until the very moment that they reached the stage. There, he settled her into a chair and briefly rested his hand against the top of her head. 

Ransom took his own seat and accepted a microphone provided by a stage hand. 

It was then that Kaya noticed the cameras in the front row. All held by those rotten fangirls from before. No doubt this whole thing would be uploaded to their website later. Of course, Ransom would undoubtedly use that to his advantage. 

Ransom lifted the microphone to his mouth. "Good afternoon, everyone. Have you all been well?" 

Much to Kaya's surprise, a resounding "yes!" hailed from the audience. 

Ransom chuckled softly. "That isn't what I've heard, but I'll choose to believe you for now."

"What have you heard?" The question came, shouted from the front row. 

Kaya didn't miss Ransom's brief, knowing grin. 

"Well..." Ransom sighed. "I saw some very disturbing messages directed toward my personal life. It couldn't possibly be from you, though. Could it?"

Dead silence met his question. Guilt swirled in the atmosphere like fog. 

Ransom nodded. "I think today is a good time to dispel the rumors, don't you? Let's do this. You ask whatever questions you want to ask, and Kaya and I will answer them." He pointed to one of the camerawomen in the front row. "Giselle, record this well." 

Giselle gave him a salute. 

Impressive, that Ransom knew the names of his fans. However, Kaya had an inkling it was because he did his research before he arrived. Ransom knew how to control a crowd, no doubt. So why did she need to be there?

As if he could read her thoughts, Ransom glanced Kaya's direction. "Forty minutes of questions, then we'll open the buffet. Deal?" 

Cheers and applause startled Kaya out of her own thoughts. Food? It might make the forty minutes of torture worth it. 

Kaya took a breath to steel herself for what came next.

A/N: My lovelies! I'm sorry! I somehow completely forgot to upload a new chapter last Friday!!! **dies in guilt and shame** But it's okay, I'm back now. Please enjoy this new chapter and look forward to the next. Until Friday (this time I'll remember)!

- Megan