A Ride With Zoren

"This is your car?" Kaya gaped at the expensive-looking black car. It's front had the initials BMW emblazoned on it.

Zoren shrugged. "Yeah, it's not much."

"You drive that, but you live here?" Something about the whole situation didn't add up.

Zoren grinned. "It's a bit of a long story. Just get in." 

"If I get in, will you tell me the whole story?" Kaya tried her best to flash a brilliant smile. She was too tired to do much of a good job at it. 

"You're pushy today." Zoren planted his hands on her shoulders and steered her to the passenger side door. "I'll explain later. You're exhausted." 

"But I want an explanation now," Kaya pouted. 

Zoren opened the door for her. "I really want to make a reference to A Few Good Men right now, but I don't think you'll get it. Hop in." 

"You're avoiding all my questions." 

"You're not really asking questions. You're making statements." 

Kaya couldn't argue with his logic. Her tired brain wouldn't come up with a good plan of action. "You'll tell me later?" 

"Yeah, sure, let's say I'll tell you later." Zoren motioned Kaya into the vehicle. "Hop in. We've got places to be." 

Given the fact that Zoren wasn't budging, Kaya slid into the vehicle and buckled her seat-belt. 

Zoren didn't waste time getting them out of there. As expected, the car rode smoothly. If Kaya let herself, she might fall asleep right there. She didn't quite trust Zoren that much. The flirt. 

"Where are we going?" 

Zoren flicked on the turn signal. "I told you, Lina's friend's house. It shouldn't take too long." 

"What's your definition of 'not too long'?" Kaya bit back a yawn. 

"Fifteen minutes? Twenty tops?" Zoren spared Kaya a glance. "You could nap if you wanted. I guess." 

Kaya shook her head. She had a fleeting suspicion that if she let herself sleep now, she wouldn't be able to wake herself up when they got to their destination. She just had to hold out a little bit longer. 

"Wanna listen to the radio?" Zoren reached for the knob. 

"Not really. I like the road noise." Kaya watched his fingers shrink back. She turned to stare out the window. 

Zoren blew out a breath. "Okay, are you being like this because you're grumpy and tired? Or because my sister told you to ignore me?" 

"Both." 

"Wow. Ouch. That hurts. Not even a second of hesitation."

Kaya giggled. "Because I didn't need to think about it. Lina probably has a good reason for telling me to ignore you." 

"Lina thinks she has good reasons for everything." Zoren's voice sounded lighter, somehow. "She isn't always right." 

Kaya didn't know how to respond to that, so she remained silent. It didn't feel awkward, since Zoren fell silent after that, too. He probably thought she would fall asleep. Resolute, Kaya kept her eyes open and her consciousness alert all the way to their destination. 

Zoren pulled the car to a stop in front of an enormous, steel-and-glass building. "This is the place. Want me to walk you in?" 

"No, thanks." Kaya unlocked her phone. "I'll call Lina now. Thanks for the ride. You should go." 

Zoren opened his mouth and closed it again twice before he finally responded. "Be careful, okay? I'll see you in the morning." 

"Thanks again." Kaya exited the car as fast as her weary body would allow. She didn't do well alone with people. Guys in particular. Her fingers itched to dial Lina's number, so Kaya gave in.

One night at Lina's friend's house wouldn't be the end of the world, right?