A Full Day's Work (pt. 3)

"Good morning, Annie. Is the CEO in?" 

Kaya hadn't realized she fell asleep until the semi-familiar voice woke her. She immediately sat up, fully aware she shouldn't have been sleeping in the first place. 

The receptionist sighed. "He's in a meeting, come back later." 

"Are you sure he can't spare me some time?" 

Kaya squinted up at the man leaning on the reception desk. He seemed familiar. Shaggy hair. Chic clothes. An aura that only the rich and famous held. 

The mystery man glanced sideways at her, then turned with a grin. "Well, well, well. Who do we have here? I didn't think we would be meeting so soon again." 

"We've met?" Kaya kept the words soft, a whisper to will her brain to place him. 

"You don't remember me?" The man stepped away from the desk and toward Kaya. "You just saw me yesterday, how could you forget me?" 

Yesterday.... Yesterday... 

Kaya raised a finger as realization hit. "You were at the photography studio with Jade." 

"Thank God. I thought I lost my charm." The man held out a hand as if he expected her to shake it. "I'm Kestrel Knox." 

The name should probably ring a bell, judging by the way he said it, but Kaya couldn't place any specific fame to it. 

Kaya stood to her feet and reached out to shake his hand. "Kaya Parker." 

"I'm aware." Kestrel shook her hand heartily, then let it drop. "You're the Lady Jade's friend. Involved with her cousin's scandal. I should know at least that much about you." 

"You should?"

Kestrel nodded. "Lady Jade is beautiful, but in a statuesque way. Hard as stone. It's in my best interest to know about what goes on around her." 

Kaya nodded slowly. What the heck was that supposed to mean? Did Kestrel just talk himself in a circle? No matter how many words he spewed, Kaya didn't know anything more. 

"Why... is that in your best interest?" She posed the question carefully, afraid that she would anger him. 

Kestrel chuckled. "Let's say I have a keen interest in Lady Jade. It's a matter of finding a way to know more." 

Kaya nodded, even though it only half-answered her question. Better to change the subject than to remain confused. "Why are you here?" 

"Ah, that." Kestrel shoved his hands in his pockets. "I'm signed under this agency. I need to have a word with the CEO." 

"You can do that?" It seemed more likely that he would talk to a representative than the actual CEO. Kaya knew at least that much about business. 

A shrug lifted Kestrel's left shoulder. "When you're Kestrel Knox, you can." 

Did he have to make her feel inferior? Kaya wished she knew what that meant, but quite honestly she only knew his name. 

"Could you explain what that means?" 

"You really don't know who I am?" Kestrel's eyes went wide. "Wow. That's something I've never experienced." 

Kaya wanted to say that maybe it was about time he experienced it, but she kept her mouth shut. 

"It's a long story. Are you here for a while?" 

Kaya nodded. "I'm waiting for the CEO's meeting to be over, as well."

"Let's sit and chat a while, then."