Reason (pt 2)

"So..." Zoren glanced around the apartment like he didn't know every inch of it by heart. 

Kaya plucked at a loose string on her jeans. "I do remember Lina saying you were some kind of genius." 

"Yeah, that's a little over-exaggerated though. I don't think I'm quite at that level." 

"You're at a higher level than I am." Kaya didn't dare look up from her fingers. She didn't know how to process any of this if she had to look Zoren in the eyes, as well. "You didn't want to keep making games?" 

"Wow, that's what you came up with?" Zoren laughed as if it amused him. "Of course I did. What do you think I do all day? I'm not a bum." 

"I've never seen you leave for work." 

"I do. Occasionally. I mean, an owner has to know what his employees are up to, doesn't he?" 

"O-owner?" Kaya didn't know what else she expected, but definitely not that. 

Zoren bent his head to catch her gaze. "Hey, chill. I haven't changed. The only thing that changed is what you know about me." 

"I don't understand. You're rich, right? So why do you live here?" Why was that the one thing that Kaya couldn't wrap her brain around? She should be able to come up with some excuse. 

"I told you. It's comfortable here." Zoren shrugged his shoulders. "Besides, if I didn't live here who would look out for you, huh?" 

"I can look out for myself..." Kaya muttered. 

Zoren grinned again, wide and bright. "Yeah, you totally didn't need my help when you passed out in front of the reporters." 

As far as points went... that was a solid one. Kaya stuck her tongue out at Lina's brother. He had been helpful, in the long run. Kaya didn't like depending on other people, but she would admit that it came in handy once in a while. 

"We should probably come to a conclusion before Lina gets back. What we're going to do about the whole dating thing." 

"I don't have time for romance." Kaya would stick to that until her very last breath. She had far too many other worries. 

Zoren leaned back against the wall behind him. "I'm not asking for romance. I just think we should make a viable story so the reporters will go away. You don't want to work with that stupid CEO either, right?" 

"He probably knows what he's talking about, but no." Kaya shook her head. "He's far too arrogant. I don't want him to be in charge." 

"Then, logically, you and I should be seen out and about together. No one who's dating stays inside all the time. The press will figure it out in hours." 

Kaya rolled her eyes at Zoren. "I don't want to date anyone." 

"I'm not saying to actually date me. I'm saying to pretend to date me. Gosh, open your ears." 

"Pretend?" That was a thing? Kaya had never thought about pretending. Either you did something or you didn't. No gray areas. So why did she find the idea so tempting? "So we wouldn't actually be in a romantic relationship?" 

"No. I think Lina might kill me if I actually dated her friend. That's not a risk I'm willing to take." Zoren chuckled again. "So? What do you say?" 

He made it sound so easy, but still... Kaya pressed her palms to her eyes. "Can I think it over for a day or two?" 

Zoren nodded, his lips pursed like she had impressed him. "Of course. Let me know what you decide." 

"I will." Yet... Kaya didn't have any confidence to make a decision. Because, as a single designer shirt had taught her, every decision came at a price. She had no idea what to do.