The Auction Gala (pt. 1)

The night of the auction came, balmy and clear. 

Kaya was surprised by Jade's deftness in makeup and she had no other choices, anyway. It didn't seem like a good idea to go out to a salon by herself. Beside that, she couldn't afford it. Ransom had already purchased the dress. Kaya wasn't about to ask him to pay for hair and makeup, as well. 

Thankfully, Jade and Lina (sort of) knew what they were doing. At the very least, they managed to get Kaya into her gown and make her look good. That's all she could ask for. 

Kaya had never felt so beautiful. Swathed in emerald and with her feet in shoes that shone despite their uncomfortableness, Kaya felt like she could take on the world. 

"Ransom's here!" Lina called from the living room. 

Kaya's heart skipped a beat. She had to stop reacting like that every time she heard his name. How would she ever live if her heart stopped working all the time? 

"Remember," Jade advised as she straightened Kaya's long skirt again, "hold your head high. You're supposed to be there. You're confident and strong." 

"I'm terrified." 

"Yes, but no one else knows that." Jade planted a hand in the middle of Kaya's back and shoved her toward the door. "Go greet your date." 

"Technically, I'm his date..." 

"And, again, no one cares." Jade bounced out of the room ahead of Kaya. 

I care. Kaya took a deep breath to still her nerves. It didn't work, but it was worth the attempt. 

One step at a time, she ventured out of the bedroom and into the living area. 

Ransom turned from his conversation with Lina. A smile broke out across his face, a beaming pride in the woman approaching him. 

As for Kaya, her heart skipped again. This time because she had never seen Ransom in a tuxedo before. She should have known he would steal both the show and women's hearts. 

Yet, his softest gaze was reserved only for her. 

The thought distracted Kaya and she tripped on her heels. 

Ransom raced to catch her before she could hit the floor. He righted her again. "Are you alright?" 

Kaya nodded, too enthusiastically. Dang nerves. "I'm fine." 

"Ah, I almost forgot." Ransom released Kaya to dig into his pocket. "I bought you something." 

Again? Did this man have no concept of a budget? Then again, he did run a multi-billion dollar company. His budget and Kaya's budget must be on two completely separate levels. 

Ransom opened a small jewelry box to reveal a simple silver necklace, in the shape of a crescent moon, with a single pearl nestled against it. 

A gasp flew unbidden from Kaya's lips. 

"You like it?" Ransom asked. 

"It... looks like one my mom had. How did you know?" 

Ransom lifted the necklace from the box and took a step closer to place it around Kaya's neck. "My uncle told me that she always wore this necklace. I thought you might want a piece of your mother with you tonight." 

Thoughtful. Courteous. Kind. 

How did anyone keep themselves from falling for Ransom Lee? No wonder he had so many female admirers. Ransom had it all, and Kaya was just glad that he chose to spend those qualities on her. 

Ransom settled the necklace gently against Kaya's collarbone, then offered her his arm. "Shall we go now?"

For the first time all night, Kaya felt she had the courage within her to do anything asked of her. For the first time all night, Kaya felt prepared.