Leona's Date (pt. 3)

She was wrong. 

Kaya didn't want to admit that dinner could be worse than the movie fiasco, but she had an inkling about it the very instant that they entered the building. 

When Ransom said "a nice dinner" he, of course, meant an expensive dinner. A dining hall situated at the very top of a tower of brilliant glass and steel. One of those places with a minimum purchase amount and wines whose names Kaya couldn't pronounce. 

With Leona poured into a figure-hugging burgundy dress and Ransom in an expensive, tailored suit, Kaya felt out of place. Why did she choose this outfit, of all things? She looked - and felt - like a third wheel. 

A concierge greeted Ransom as soon as he stepped out of the elevator. "We've been expecting you, Mr. Lee. This way, please." 

A sudden sense of deja vu reminded Kaya that the last time she had been in a restaurant like this, it had also been with Ransom Lee. And she had freaked out and had a panic attack. What if that happened again? 

Before she could follow that path too far, Kaya found herself at a small round table. Ransom pulled out her chair for her and held it until she sat. Then did the same for Leona. 

Kaya inhaled through her nose and let it out through her lips. She could do this. She could make it through one night of Leona's company. After all, she had dealt with Alicia for over a month now. One night shouldn't be too hard. 

"Ransom, darling, how did you know this is one of my favorite restaurants?" Leona accepted the menu offered to her. 

Ransom chuckled. "I can find out anything if I put my mind to it." 

"You put your mind to finding out my tastes?" Leona threw him a kiss. "I knew you cared." 

That knot in the pit of Kaya's stomach twisted a little tighter, pulling at her heartstrings in an unpleasant way. 

Ransom scooted his chair closer to Kaya and rested a hand against her shoulder. "You haven't said a word since before the movie. Are you alright?" 

"I'm fine." 

A lie, but how did she tell him that she wanted to go home? That she didn't like the way Leona got to have her way. Kaya had agreed to this. Just one date. That had been the promise. She couldn't break it. 

Ransom looked skeptical, but he let the subject drop. He probably didn't want to fight in front of Leona. Kaya couldn't blame him. If they gave Leona an inch, she would take a mile. 

"What should we eat, hm?" Ransom opened his menu and angled it so that Kaya could see the items listed. 

As before, Kaya had no idea what half of the meals were. 

"I know what I want, are you ready to order?" Leona set her menu on the table. "Waiter!" 

Kaya shot Ransom a desperate look. 

Ransom nodded his head, a small but annoyed smile tugging at his lips. "I'll order for you, then?" 

Yeah, that sounded good. This night hadn't gone at all how Kaya thought it would, but Ransom could cover this part, at least. Maybe Leona wouldn't say anything that would shame Kaya. Maybe Leona wouldn't realize that Kaya didn't know how to handle this kind of place. 

Between the two of them, Ransom and Leona placed the order. Kaya would admit, they worked well together. 

But she loved Ransom, so Leona couldn't have him. No matter how perfect a match they were.