Alicia's Scrutiny

The lobby didn't seem nearly as intimidating as the weekend. Kaya would wager money that Ransom had the fan club cleared out. 

She should thank him. 

Kaya gave a soft tug on Ransom's hand. 

Ransom paused to look down at her. "Is something the matter?" 

Kaya shook her head. "Just wanted to say thanks. For getting rid of the fans in the lobby." 

She expected an answer like they were obstructing business anyway or maybe even their presence annoyed me. None of those words came from Ransom's lips. 

Instead, he smiled softly, lifted his free hand, and brushed a strand of hair behind Kaya's ear. 

Kaya inhaled sharply, still stunned by the way her heart pounded any time he came near her. 

"You're welcome." Ransom's hand fell away from Kaya's ear, landing back at his side. 

Click, click, click.

Kaya spun toward the sound of a camera shutter. 

Alicia lowered her camera and gave a facetious wave of her fingers. "Morning, fakers." 

Kaya squared her shoulders, fully prepared to take Alicia on, should the need arise. 

Ransom spoke first. "Ms. Fairchild, we've discussed this. Fangirling isn't permitted during working hours." 

"Good thing I'm not on shift for another ten minutes." Alicia smiled brightly. "Which means I can trail you to your office!" 

Kaya took a determined step forward. "No, you can't. This is Ransom's workplace, not a zoo."

"It's my workplace, too. I can go wherever I want." Alicia stuck out her tongue. 

"Not to Ransom's office." Kaya shook her head, proud of herself for taking a stand. For once in her life. 

"No, it's fine." Ransom's fingers gave Kaya's a squeeze. "Let her follow us. It won't do any harm, will it?" 

Kaya looked up at him, eyes wide in disbelief. How could he say that? Alicia's whole existence pivoted around an axis of revealing Kaya and Ransom's lies to the world. Why would he let her have a good, close look at them?

Ransom pulled Kaya behind him toward the elevators. Alicia trailed with her camera poised and ready. 

He had a plan, right? Ransom always had a plan. 

The elevator took an excruciatingly long time to reach Ransom's floor. Thankfully, he didn't release Kaya's hand the whole time. One of the only things keeping her from over-stressing. 

Alicia's eyes watching their every move. Mostly Ransom's, which annoyed Kaya. Did Alicia have to stare?

Finally, the elevator doors opened again. 

Ransom stepped out, taking Kaya along with him. 

Trust him. He knows what he's doing. Kaya reminded herself so she didn't break under the pressure from the fan club president. Things couldn't get worse than this. 

She spoke too soon. 

Zoren waited for them outside of Ransom's office. 

Kaya sidled closer to Ransom and silently prayed that Zoren didn't say something to set Alicia off. Two of the most volatile people she knew, in the same space. Only combustion could happen. 

Ransom hesitated upon reaching his door, but only Kaya would have noticed. 

"Did you need something?" Ransom asked Zoren. 

Zoren shrugged. "I'm not here to see you." He leveled his gaze at Kaya. 

Kaya mentally sighed. What did she do to deserve this? Why her, of all people? Could she not live in peace? 

"Ah, so you're here for your friend." Ransom nodded. 

"Friend?" Alicia snorted in the background. 

Kaya shot a glare over her shoulder. 

Alicia shrugged. 

Ransom released Kaya's hand and instead turned to face her. "Have a good morning. I'll see you for lunch." 

Before Kaya could answer, he leaned in, stopping when his lips were a mere inch from hers. 

Ransom turned his head slightly, to stare first at Zoren, then Alicia. "Are the two of you really going to watch this public display of affection? Or are you going to leave first?" 

Zoren stormed to the elevator without a word. 

Alicia grinned and snapped a picture before she turned on her heel, as well. 

Ransom stepped back.

Kaya didn't give herself time to ponder the disappointment, knowing he wouldn't kiss her after all. This time, her sigh fell audibly from her lips. 

Ransom grinned at her. "Not because I don't want to." He stepped closer again, his lips leveled by Kaya's ear. "When we have our first kiss, it won't be to convince some snobby teenager that we have feelings for each other." 

Ransom's lips brushed gently against Kaya's hair, and then he was gone through the door. 

Kaya pressed her hands to her cheeks in an attempt to stop the blush from spreading.