Part-Time Assistant (pt. 2)

Kaya changed into the outfit Jade had sent over without much thought. A rusty-orange pair of wide-leg trousers and a simple blouse. It fit perfectly, but Jade had taken her measurements before so that didn't surprise Kaya. Besides, she had more pressing things to think about. 

Washing her face took all of thirty seconds, considering Ransom had gotten most of the flour off already. 

Overall, changing took Kaya a total of ten minutes. She couldn't procrastinate longer, much as she wanted to. 

Kaya ventured back to the office. She took a moment to leave her garment bag, now containing her kitchen clothes, behind Tobin's desk. 

"Good. You're back." Ransom exited his office and shoved his hands into his pockets. "The meeting has been moved up. Let's go." 

"Yes, sir." Kaya grabbed a notebook and pen from Tobin's desk, along with the schedule folder he left behind. Lastly, she rummaged through the garment bag for her company identification. 

Ransom paused halfway to the outer door. "What are you searching for?"

"My ID." Kaya checked another pocket. 

"Leave it. You'll be with me." Ransom motioned an arm toward the door. "Shall we go then, Ms. Parker?" 

Kaya didn't really want to leave the ID, just in case something happened and she needed it, but Ransom made sense. There wasn't a person in the company that didn't know him, and if she was with him she would be granted automatic entrance. 

For the sake of time and ease, Kaya relented. 

Ransom held the door for her to jog out into the hall. He shut it behind himself when he followed. 

"Should I be the one opening doors?" Kaya rearranged the pile of items in her arms so that it would stop sliding. 

Ransom chuckled. "Tobin would, but I think our situation is a bit different." 

"How? I'm still your assistant. Just think of me like I'm Tobin." 

"That is an impossibility." Ransom shrugged his shoulders. "I can never see you as Tobin, so let's get that settled right now. Besides, if I didn't hold the door for a lady, I'd seem rude." 

Of course. All about appearances. That made sense. She should have expected something of the sort, since Ransom ran a PR company, of all things. 

"Let's go." Ransom touched his fingertips to Kaya's shoulder, a soft encouragement to get moving. "The car is waiting." 

Right. Focus. This afternoon, her main job was to be the assistant. Remain silent and notice everything. She should be prepared for anything that Ransom Lee might need. 

The elevator dinged as the doors opened. Kaya followed Ransom into the small space, all the while fiddling with the things in her arms. How did Tobin so effortlessly carry them? How big were his hands?

Ransom reached over and plucked the schedule folder out of Kaya's pile. 

Kaya frowned. "I could tell you where we're going." 

"That's not what I'm looking at." Ransom flipped through a couple pages and finally shut it. He grabbed the rest of the pile, arranged it, and placed it back into Kaya's arms. 

Kaya didn't know what to think. Did he actually need to look at the schedule, or had he seen her plight? Did Ransom actually, truly like her? Too many questions had already arisen, and she still had to survive the rest of the afternoon. 

How?