Guest

After a long and complicated argument over all the reasons that Alicia couldn't participate in the plan, she finally acquiesced. Everyone had known that she would. Alicia, as founder of the fan club and Ransom's biggest fangirl, would do just about anything that Ransom asked of her. 

Jacob, always the wise one of the pair, hustled Alicia out the door as soon as she agreed. 

Kaya twisted a piece of her hair between her fingers. "I should probably be getting back to Jade's." 

"No need." Ransom rose from the couch. "I already told her you wouldn't be back this evening."

"I won't?" Where did she go if not to Jade's?

Ransom sighed. "It was a bit presumptuous of me, I'll admit. But given what happened earlier this evening, I would feel much more at ease if you stayed in one of my guest rooms. Just for tonight. I want to know that I'm nearby if something else were to happen. Or if you were to have nightmares again."

He had a point. Kaya did have a case of chronic nightmares. Having Ransom nearby last time had soothed her quicker than any medicine she could ingest. 

"If you don't want to stay, I can escort you back downstairs. I just thought..." Ransom shrugged sheepishly. "It would put me at ease. It was a selfish decision. I'm sorry." 

"You have guest rooms?" Funny, how that was the part of the conversation that stuck in Kaya's head. She hadn't explored the massive apartment like Alicia had. 

Ransom chuckled. "I do. Would you like to see them?" 

Kaya nodded. Of course she would like to see where she would sleep for the remainder of the night. She felt safe in Ransom's presence. No need to wake Lina and Jade at this hour. 

Ransom offered a hand, palm-up, to Kaya. 

Kaya settled her hand in his and stood to her feet to follow him. 

Languorously, Ransom led Kaya up the stairs and down a hall. A plain beige door greeted them. Ransom pushed it open.

"Here."

Kaya only released Ransom's hand to step into the room. The room itself sported neutral walls, the only color accent the blue bedspread and the matching chair and curtains. Kaya smiled to herself. So simple. So unlike the Ransom she knew. 

"It's... quaint." Kaya couldn't help the smile tugging at her lips. 

Ransom ducked his head. To hide a blush? No. Ransom didn't blush. Only when he looked back up did Kaya realize he had been laughing, as well. 

"It will do for one night, won't it?" Ransom asked. 

Kaya nodded. "It will." 

"I'll bring you something to change into to sleep. You can lock the door from the inside. If something happens, my room is at the other end of the hall." Ransom paused. "Will you come to me if you need something?" 

That he even had to ask said a lot about Kaya's timidity up til now. He sounded so hopeful, but so sad. 

Kaya offered another smile. "Of course I will." 

Strangely, Kaya found that she meant it. She had come to trust Ransom, certainly. Trust was the foundation of love, and love was the strongest emotion she felt toward Ransom.